Add In not listed

Solution Partner Creator Solution Partner Creator
Solution Partner Creator

Hello,

I try to add a C# add-in to Solid Edge with visual studio 2012 .

The debug finished succesfully but the add-in is not added in the Solid edge Add In Manager.

The same Add In was added successfully in another PC that has the same configuration (Windows7 , ST6 ,. Net framework 4 and 4.5)

Could you help me please ?

Thanks.

Mahbouba

5 REPLIES

Re: Add In not listed

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

It is likely an x86\x64 issue. A 64-bit Windows machine can support 32-bit or 64-bit applications and COM components. Windows accomplishes this by storing 32-bit & 64-bit COM component information in separate places in the registry. Depending on which platform you're targeting, you have to execute the correct RegAsm.exe. What most people get wrong is they execute the 32-bit version of RegAsm.exe when they want to register for Solid Edge (x64).

Windows (x64) & Solid Edge (x86)

Register a .NET Solid Edge AddIn

C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\RegAsm.exe /codebase %PATH_TO_ADDIN_DLL%

Unregister a .NET Solid Edge AddIn

C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\RegAsm.exe /u %PATH_TO_ADDIN_DLL%

Registry path of registered AddIn

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Wow6432Node\CLSID\{%ADDIN_GUID%}]

Windows (x64) & Solid Edge (x64)

Register a .NET Solid Edge AddIn

C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\RegAsm.exe /codebase %PATH_TO_ADDIN_DLL%

Unregister a .NET Solid Edge AddIn

C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\RegAsm.exe /u %PATH_TO_ADDIN_DLL%

Registry path of registered AddIn

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{%ADDIN_GUID%}

I don't know how you're creating your AddIn but I encourage you to look at my Solid Edge Community Templates Quick Start blog post for more information.

Jason Newell
Applications Architect
www.jasonnewell.net

Solution Partner Creator Solution Partner Creator
Solution Partner Creator

Hello Jason,

Thank you to helping me.

Everything is OK now.

Regards.

Mahbouba

Solution Partner Pioneer Solution Partner Pioneer
Solution Partner Pioneer

Hi, I have a slightly similar problem. A former collegue created an add-in for Solid Edge ST9/Win7. I tried it on my machine with Solid Edge ST10/Win 10 without any success so that we would be sure it works and we can still sell it.

However the customer who bought it can't  see it in Solid Edge.

First thing I did was checking the register part in the batch file. it was using a wrong version of regasm.exe (framework 2 instead of 4, I had both on my machine but the customer with a brand new windows 10 machine didn't have it) so I changed the batch to that it uses the framework64\v4.0.30319

Apparently it didn't work like this so we used the same command lines in a command prompt ran as administrator. Then the add-in was shown in the add-in manager in Solid Edge.

You would think it's good at this point but no (and that'sw where it's reallye weird). The add-in is visible and activated in the add-in manager in Solid Edge BUT none of the add-in commands are visible in the UI. If you try to customize the UI, you won't see the added ribbon and you won't find the commands in the "all commands" filter.

Any idea why and what we could check ?

It happens on 2 different machines. They have the administrator rights but you must know that it's military machines so maybe there's a special version ? Solid Edge is installed on one machine in Program Files and on the other in C:\Solid Edge ST10\ and they have the same problem.

It's critical for us because they paid for this add-in and it worked on their previous machines (ST9/Win7) one week ago just before they changed. Moreover it works for our machines with ST10/Win10 so I can't reproduce the problem.

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

You said that you initially registered your addin with the regasm command from the .NET Framework v2 which was not installed on the client machine.

Did you recompile your addin for ST10 with the .NET Framework v4?

Registering the addin is one thing, but SE not being able to load and connect to the addin can be another problem.

Did you target your addin to a specific .NET Framework version?

@jnewellexplained it in this post.

Solution Partner Pioneer Solution Partner Pioneer
Solution Partner Pioneer

I was precisely coming back to explain that my target framework is v3.5 and may be the cause.

I'll try with target framework 4 and regenerate the solution and installer.

-----------------

edit : Ok everything is recompiled and sent to the customer, now I cross my fingers Smiley Very Happy