Adding new input devices to SE

Dear Sirs,

I am a researcher since long time in the field of Virtual and Augmented reality. My actual research is to test Vr devices into a SE working session. That's to say i want i.e. rotate the camera position using a spacemouse or similar.

basically i need an Add in which updates the camera position (next step the cursor) according data from my input device (code in c++).

I found on this forum a demo which seems helpful for rotating the camera, but it's in vb and i would like to have it in c++.

By the way the add in example in SE V19 does not work with my visual studio as crashes while converting the files to Vs2005, then no widzard are available on visual studio startup and i am not confident with ole, activex etc...

anybody has a solution for my problem?

any help will be great

thanks

Posted by: michele Fiorentino
Post date: 11/13/2007 6:25:16 AM

8 REPLIES

RE: Adding new input devices to SE

Attached is an example VC++ ATL addin for Solid Edge that does a little demonstration on how to move the camera.  There is a lot of math involved with doing it correctly and I by no means know how to do it correctly.  I co-developed the Astroid addin for Solid Edge with John Hilton.  John would probably be your best resource for this kind of project.

Unzip the attachment and open EventManager.cpp and look at the code starting at:

HRESULT CEventManager::XAddInEvents::raw_OnCommand( long nCmdID )

Let me know if there is anything else that I can do for you.

Posted by: Jason Newell
Post date: 11/13/2007 7:03:50 AM

thanks very much for the super fast answer!!

well out of the box the addin.h file was missing .. i replaced with one founded in the SE conference..

I got the following error:

1>.\AddIn.idl(54) : error MIDL2337 : unsatisfied forward declaration : ISEAddInEvents [ Coclass 'XAddInEvents' ]

it's the wrog file?

thanks a lot

Post date: 11/13/2007 9:28:38 AM

Addin.h is a generated file so it is not necessary to create one of copy an existing one.

I believe that your project settings may need to be different than on my machine.  See the following screen shots.

You got the MIDL error because it cannot find the TypeLib that defines the ISEAddInEvents interface.  Once you get your project properties setup correctly, it will compile.

Post date: 11/13/2007 9:44:17 AM

thanks! it solved the problem.. my SE  was installed on another path!

thanks! very much for the fast support... and the auto-registering is a nice feature!!

now the application is running and it's really what i am looking for. Thanks!!

I will go further in coding and I am thinking to connect it with my Vr tracking library which will make it very versatile..

my only remark is if it can it work in real time? 

the provided application rotates the camera but i cannot interact during it...While the connexion driver for the spacemouse allows simultaneous to move the mouse pointer...

thanks

Post date: 11/14/2007 12:29:00 AM

Glad that I could get you going.

Regarding realtime camera movement, I've shown you all that I can show you. Yes I do know how to do what you're asking for but the only reason that I know how to do it is because of my work with Spatial Freedon (Astroid) and I'm under non-disclosure with them. If you want to know how the Astroid does it, you'll need to contact them.

Good luck and let me know if there is anything else that I can do for you.

Post date: 11/14/2007 2:14:45 AM

very interesting company. and sounds like an answer of my question.

Actually we are running CAD performance test using different input devices and we already collaborated with other companies like yours (you can imagine which one..)

The interface looks smart and we would like to give a look to it.

We are a university research group and we can find a way to collaborate.

Do you have a contat for a possible research collaboration? you can post it in a PM.

This will be a good option for both.

ciao

Post date: 11/15/2007 7:35:01 AM

Hi,

While tweaking the options to improve rendering speed i came up with this flag:

tool->option->view->3D input device

in the documentation it mensions the 3d mouse and spaceball.

How it works? Can i access or override my devices to look like  those supported 3D inputs?

thanks

Post date: 11/19/2007 8:57:00 PM

info@spatialfreedom.com or sales@spatialfreedom.com is how you can contact them.

The "3D input device" option that you see is, to my understanding, for legacy controllers as has very limited functionality. There is no API to interact with in that regard.

Post date: 11/25/2007 5:53:33 PM