Automatically create PDF from dft

Hello,

We want to create PDF from all our drawings overnight (or on the spot if possible) without any user intervention. The drawings are spread in many subfolders, so all drawings must be checked.

If the PDF don't exist, create one.

If the PDF exists already, but drawing is modiefied since then, create new one and overwrite old PDF.

What would be our best way to go? Preferable a software we can buy? We have only SE Classic licenses. We need those PDF up to date for other departments to consult and to use for commercial purposes.

4 REPLIES

Re: Automatically create PDF from dft

Johan,

as Siemens PLM solution provider I've already created an individual custom solution doing exactly what you want:

A configurable list of folders is optionally recursively scanned for DFT files to be converted to PDF if the PDF file doesn't already exist or is out of date.

You may contact me under one of the email addresses to be found on the home page:

http://www.wksyspro.de/en/home/home.html

Kind regards,
Wolfgang Kunert - www.wksyspro.de

[ Edited ]

Johan,

We do something similar at my company but it's very much integrated with our ERP system. I leverage the SolidEdge.Community.Reader NuGet package to read the .dft files directly and extract an Enhanced Metafile (EMF) for each sheet. Once you have the EMFs, you can do just about anything you need. In particular, I wrote a program that prints the EMFs to a printer that output PDFs. The printer driver we use is part of our ERP solution so you'd have to use something else but there are lots of options out there.

[Edit]

I meant to mention that there is an example of how to use the SolidEdge.Community.Reader.dll on GitHub.

Jason Newell
Applications Architect
www.jasonnewell.net

Hello,

I totally understand your concern to automatically create PDFs from the drawings in various folders. It is totally possible with FolderMill. I downloaded it the Trial to try for creating PDFs for my JPEG files. It did the job. Now i have purchased the software and got the license which also enables me to Print PDF automatically from the specified folder as soon as the PDFs are created. Isn't that totally awesome. You must read this article for more info:http://www.foldermill.com/news/print-documents-create-pdf-files . Hope it was of some use.

Thanks

Sorry Johnwatt,

your answer seems off topic. It is not related to creating PDF's from Solid Edge DFT files via automation. The software mentioned in the link you provided is not for this purpose and your post looks more like a fake post to draw attention to this piece of software. Sorry.

Kind regards,
Wolfgang Kunert - www.wksyspro.de