Automation Interface: Tangent Relationship in Assembly

I am a complete novice at this automation game.  Please forgive me if this is a stupid question.

With reference to the new Solid Edge ST7 SDK (http://support.industrysoftware.automation.siemens.com/training/se/107/api/webframe.html) it would be appreciated if someone could provide clarification for me in relation to the following.

Programmer's Guide > Solid Edge > Environments > Assembly > Working with References

Adding New Assembly Relationships, it states:

"There are five methods to define assembly relationships through the automation interface: AddAngular, AddAxial, AddGround, AddPlanar, and AddPoint. These do not exactly correspond with the assembly relationship commands that are available interactively. However, they do correspond to the relationships that the interactive commands create."

Solid Edge Assembly Type Library
TangentRelation3d Object

Description: 
Defines a tangent relationship between two objects.

Remarks:
A tangent relationship ensures that the cylindrical face of one part in an assembly remains tangent to a planar or cylindrical face of another part.

My questions are:

1. In what respect is AddTangent different from AddPoint?  The latter is in the list of five assembly relationships while the former is not?
  2. Can this tangent relationship only be applied between a cylindrical face of one part in an assembly and a planar or cylindrical face of another part?  Can AddTangent be used to apply a tangent relationship between a sphere and a surface, as can be done with a tangent relationship interactively?

Thanks in anticipation for all responses,

Desmond Brown 

Ulster University

6 REPLIES

Re: Automation Interface: Tangent Relationship in Assembly

db wrote:

I am a complete novice at this automation game.  Please forgive me if this is a stupid question.

With reference to the new Solid Edge ST7 SDK (http://support.industrysoftware.automation.siemens.com/training/se/107/api/webframe.html) it would be appreciated if someone could provide clarification for me in relation to the following.

Programmer's Guide > Solid Edge > Environments > Assembly > Working with References

Adding New Assembly Relationships, it states:

"There are five methods to define assembly relationships through the automation interface: AddAngular, AddAxial, AddGround, AddPlanar, and AddPoint. These do not exactly correspond with the assembly relationship commands that are available interactively. However, they do correspond to the relationships that the interactive commands create."

Solid Edge Assembly Type Library
TangentRelation3d Object

Description: 
Defines a tangent relationship between two objects.

Remarks:
A tangent relationship ensures that the cylindrical face of one part in an assembly remains tangent to a planar or cylindrical face of another part.

My questions are:

1. In what respect is AddTangent different from AddPoint?  The latter is in the list of five assembly relationships while the former is not?
  2. Can this tangent relationship only be applied between a cylindrical face of one part in an assembly and a planar or cylindrical face of another part?  Can AddTangent be used to apply a tangent relationship between a sphere and a surface, as can be done with a tangent relationship interactively?

Thanks in anticipation for all responses,

Desmond Brown 

Ulster University

Hi Desmond,

AddPoint corresponds to the interactive Connect relationship, so that's where AddTangent differs. As far as question number 2, I haven't tried it, but I think it should work between a sphere and a surface as it does interactively.

Greg

Hi Greg,

Thanks for your reply.

I do appreciated that it adds a different relationship but under Adding New Assembly Relationships are there only 5 listed but AddTangent is excluded?  Does this not mean that there is something essentially different?  Or is it just that the documentation has not been updated to take account of new capability?  Should AddTangent be in that list?

Again the comment under Adding New Assembly Relationships

"These do not exactly correspond with the assembly relationship commands that are available interactively." made me query this but I do hope that you are right because it is the only potential solution that I can see to a problem that I need to address.

Desmond

db wrote:

Hi Greg,

Thanks for your reply.

I do appreciated that it adds a different relationship but under Adding New Assembly Relationships are there only 5 listed but AddTangent is excluded?  Does this not mean that there is something essentially different?  Or is it just that the documentation has not been updated to take account of new capability?  Should AddTangent be in that list?

Again the comment under Adding New Assembly Relationships

"These do not exactly correspond with the assembly relationship commands that are available interactively." made me query this but I do hope that you are right because it is the only potential solution that I can see to a problem that I need to address.

Desmond

I think the documentation is just not up to date. AddTangent existed even prior to ST7 - there are also several other relationship types that can be added in addition to the tangent relationship that aren't listed in the documentation either.

Greg

I hope that you are right. As a Siemens guy, could I ask you to alert the documentation people because I am quoting from the new online ST7 version just recently posted.

Desmond

I have passed the information along.

Greg

Thanks Greg,

Desmond