Blocks in Draft files vs. Blocks in AutoCAD dwg files.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Need a bit of help on using blocks in SE vs. AutoCAD

OK I have a dwg file in AutoCAD with a number of blocks in it ("fileA").The sheet is blank (i.e. no block *instances* inserted) and the blocks are stored/embedded into the file.

OK so far..

If I convert the dwg file to dft I get a draft file that contains no blocks (that I can see anyway!).Its like the dwg > dft conversion only looks at the block *instances* and not the blocks stored in the file.

If I then go back to ACAD and insert a few block instances into the sheet and save (in dwg) then import to dft again the blocks instances that I added show up. And... I can 

delete the instances in the draft file and they stay on the blocks list.

Its like SE needs to see an instance of the block before it will acknoledge it exists.

The funny part is that if I convert "fileA" to DFT, the file size of the dft reflects the fact that the blocks are in there. In other words I can have an apparently blank draft 

file (no blocks available to insert) that is 2MB in size so it seems the blocks are in there but are inaccessible either via the UI or the API.

I hope you can follow that!!

Is my understanding correct or am I missing something fundamental??

PS: Jason - are you aware that the forum posting page has an auto-refresh set up (I think around every 5 mins), that deletes any text from the post that is being written!! I've taken to writing my posts in notepad for now!! (I'm using Chrome browser v9.0 FYI)

Posted by: Alex Lush
Post date: 2/2/2011 9:11:30 PM

1 REPLY

RE: Blocks in Draft files vs. Blocks in AutoCAD dwg files.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Posted By Alex Lush on 03 Feb 2011 03:11 AM

PS: Jason - are you aware that the forum posting page has an auto-refresh set up (I think around every 5 mins), that deletes any text from the post that is being written!! I've taken to writing my posts in notepad for now!! (I'm using Chrome browser v9.0 FYI)

I was made aware of it a few weeks ago, thought that I had it resolved but now it's back.  I'm looking into it again.  I know, it's extremely annoying.  It even bit me a few minutes ago.  I won't rest today until it's fixed.  Sorry for the trouble.

Posted by: Jason Newell
Post date: 2/3/2011 11:04:25 AM