CAM-enviroment

[ Edited ]

Hello,

I'm currently writing a tool for generating NC-code for our 5-axis lasercutting machine.

I'm at the point that i can start a macro, select edges and worksurfaces for the contour I need to process, and generate some NC. There's offcourse some manual editing in my result to get a working program, but it's lightyears compared to how we did things before (you don't wanna know).

i've used highlightsets to view the selected items.

Since a while i've been thinking to shift this to a higher level. Digging in Object & methods of solid edge directed me in some directions, but i got stuck in each approach i started out.

I would shure like someone to talk about this, because i have only me, myself and I. Even those 3 can't solve this problem .

Things i do not find in the solid edge programming guide our in the help, do lead me to think there is no other way, but reading a topic in this section led me to some other ideas.

What i want to do is not that simple and will take a long time, but it's the achievement i'm going for. (plus raise and company car :-) )

I want to be able to select contours, startpoint, toolside and some other things, be able to visualise those operations, be able to save, reopen and edit all of that.

There are always different approaches to projects like these, and it would shure be glad to hear some ideas from anyone.

Thx Kris.

Posted by: Kris Verheyen
Post date: 11/6/2005 10:46:29 PM

5 REPLIES

RE: CAM-enviroment

[ Edited ]

Kris,

If you have not done so already, download my Solid Edge Spy program. It will help you learn how the Solid Edge API works faster than anything.

I'm not sure how much help I can be in your project. Maybe we can get someone else to chime in. If you don't get a good response here, try echoing this post in the Solid Edge Programming newsgroup.

Good luck .

Posted by: Jason Newell
Post date: 11/7/2005 5:32:44 AM

[ Edited ]

Hello Jason,

I did allready use SESpy, indeed very handy, complimented you on it earlier (super-cali-...).

I was also looking in the supportgroup, and noticed fairly large differences in VB6 and BV.Net regarding hidden functionality. The ISolidedgeBar, wich you mentioned in another post, is not visible in VB6.

I'll start hassling (how's it spelled ?) the boss about .Net :-)

Is it possible to create custom features in .net or c++? and get things like that saved in the part or sheetmetal file? (via attributes or another way?)

greetings,Kris

Post date: 11/7/2005 9:09:00 AM

[ Edited ]

Kris,

If I remember correctly, you can still use the ISolidEdgeBar interface even though VB6 doesn't show it in the Object Browser. You can turn on "Show hidden ..?" in the VB6 Object Browser and see the interface, I think. Not that it matters, just thought I'd mention it.

Regarding creating custom features within a file, I'd say it's certainly possible. Within the scope of what you can do inside Solid Edge that is. The Solid Edge API provides you (most) of the same functionality as you can do within the GUI. Sometimes even more . I know there are several people on the Solid Edge newsgroups who do this quite often. Paolo is the first person that comes to mind. I'm pretty much worthless when it comes to creating Solid Edge geometry via API. It's my lack of CAD education showing through .

Hope this makes sense.

Posted by: Jason Newell
Post date: 11/7/2005 3:40:02 PM

[ Edited ]

thx

i'll check this out.

greetings, Kris.

Post date: 11/7/2005 7:17:26 PM

[ Edited ]

woooooooooow

and it was there all along!

stupid is who stupid does

greetz, and thanks.

I know i'm gonna try this on some other dll

(other programs), who knows whats under there hood?

Kris.

Post date: 11/7/2005 7:26:35 PM