Changing Dimension Names

Hey everyone,

I'm new here, i've been setting up a standard parts library for my work and they've decided to use this small program they found to find a dimension named "Length" in a part document and create a custom property with it. Well now i'm faced with going through thousands of files i've already created and renaming them by hand, i've been trying to write a program that will look for the default name for the first extrusion, "ExtrudedProtrusion_1_FiniteDepth", and allow me to rename it to "Length." If someone can just help me out with locating and renaming the dimension in the file that would be great, i can set up the rest of it. We're using Solid Edge V18 but the file structure and commands haven't changed. I can work with either VB6 or VB.NET.

Posted by: Nick Parrish
Post date: 1/24/2006 7:21:29 AM

2 REPLIES

RE: Changing Dimension Names

Nick,

I will take a look into this for you over the weekend.

If you haven't already, you should download my Solid Edge Spy application. It will allow you to browse through the Solid Edge object model during runtime. You should be able to quickly find what you're looking for and if it is possible to rename it, Solid Edge Spy will let you change it on the fly without writing a single line of code. This helps in determining "what's possible".

I'll let you know what I find.

Posted by: Jason Newell
Post date: 1/27/2006 5:20:03 AM

RE: Changing Dimension Names

Figured that i should update this since i found out the command, so that others can use it too. They way you can change the name of a dimension is to get the displayname for that dimen. then get the variables object and use var.putname(dimen.displayname,"Length"). Nice little command to have when you're automating part creation and you need dimensions called a specific name.

Posted by: Nick Parrish
Post date: 5/18/2006 4:21:38 AM