Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RE: Changing Positions - Engineering an Ecosystem by Mark Burhop

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Mark,

instead of having a "visual" programming tool, like Luc (Solid DNA) suggested, I would prefer to see some kind of macro recorder integrated in SE, which produces some source code to be used as a starting point for a development project.

You should have a look at the Journal functionality of NX, where exactly this is realized. A collegue of mine, who knows only a little of programming, has done so far a lot of VB.NET macros for NX by just copy and pasting code fragments, saved by a journal. For someone who starts programming with SE, this might be very powerful tool to get a running macro very fast.

Posted by: Martin Bernhard
Post date: 3/24/2011 1:10:19 PM

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Mark,

I would love to see some formal training offered. 

I jumped into the API as a way to continue to grow my overall SE use persoanlly.  I had no prior programming experiance.

I took a week long MS VB.NET class and was super excited to get back to the office and write my 1st code...

I sat at my desk and had no clue what to do or where to start.  I know this request is asking for a lot but I would like to see some type of formal classroom traing on how to write Macros and Add-ins for SE.  In reality a beginners class. 

Another thing I think would be very helpful is just to see other's automated processes.  I'm sure there are things others have already thought of and worked on that never cross my mind to automate.  It might shine light on things others could do in their own processes to see other examples.   Even if not being copied 100% or directly from the example if might show real life work flows that could benifit from similar automation.

All in all - as a beginner and having no prior experiance...  "I don't even know what I don't know" This seems to be something I keep hearing myself say.  I need answers to things I didn't even know to ask.

Thanks for your efforts, (and all those who offer their experiance and assistance!)

Posted by: Matt Johnson
Post date: 3/25/2011 9:00:43 AM

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Edgers,

I think training belongs to VAR instead Siemens, I'm pretty sure you can find a Solid Edge API course from a VAR in your country ! Back when I worked for a french Solid Edge VAR, we were able to dispense such trainings.

Talking about macro recorders, I've never been a real fan of this kind of tools. I'm sure that vba sould be easy to implement within SE but it is certainly not free to use. Siemens must pay royalties to Microsoft for it and it should be expensive !

Anthony

Posted by: Anthony PONCEOT
Post date: 3/25/2011 11:08:20 AM

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Yes, the journaling in NX is nice. I used to work on Ideas and it was great to be able to create program files that would automate repeated processes (great for testcases too). The hard part is that it was a big effort for NX to do and right now, I'm just one guy. One thing that is good to do here is to submit this to GTAC so that it gets in front of more people. The more customers that ask for it, the higher it moves up in priority.

Posted by: Mark Burhop
Post date: 3/30/2011 7:33:12 AM

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Anthony, You are kind of right about VARs and training but I think this is where some community aspects come in. You all know the types of problems you are facing, VARs can maybe most easily address training (e.g. they are local) and we got access to the developers who did the API's in the first place. Plus, I'm sure each VAR does not want to develop his own training plan. He would rather reuse and customize existing material.

So I'm sure there are some things we can help with given we make the API in the first place. I'm just trying to figure out where we (Solid Edge) can help the most (e.g. is it in getting better API material to the VARs?)

Post date: 3/30/2011 8:02:36 AM

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Mark,

I was unable to find API training through a local VAR when I was interested. My VAR did try to help put me in contact with a local contractor who had done some API work but this was "muddy" at best. I was drinking from a fire hose and this gentleman was not a "trainer" so we had no real logical approach to what we were doing. He was trying to show me examples of work he had done but I was in way over my head.

I feel that having a structured approach to training would have been helpful. Similar to having learned a "Hello World" example in VB.NET training; taking baby steps and learning each Type Library in little pieces would have given me a lot more confidence. Agreed that you can't teach everything... one will have to explore the API as needed for specifics... but at the time I didn't even honestly know how to look for the objects, methods or properties I might need/want. I found myself using the .NET Object Explorer more so then the SE Help. This was V20, Prior to Jason writing the Help!!!

I might be an odd bird out... I want to learn the API to better my use of SE but don't have a computer/programming background. I'm sure this doesn’t help at all... But neither does the lack of available training and at the time the lack of documentation and examples.

Just my 2cents

Matt J.

Post date: 3/30/2011 9:45:11 AM

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Matt,

So you know, I sat down with some Siemens PLM VPs today to talk about more training and examples (among other things). I can't promise anything but everyone is at least listening. Of course, as you said, Jason has already done a lot since back in V20.

Any chance you can come to the ST4 launch event and go to Jason's training in June?

Mark

Post date: 3/30/2011 4:41:41 PM

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Mark,

Funny you ask about ST4 Launch...

I'm still trying to get approval to attend. I prodded Jason on BBSNotes to host an API training Breakout and now I'm not even sure I can attend.

The issue is that I am going to Huntsville for ST4 Beta in April and so (rightfully so) management is going to allow other to attend the Launch. If no one expresses interest I might still have a slim chance... I'm also still pullingthe API Training as my ace in the hole. I'm the only one here atempting the API...

Jason, If you're reading this thread... Surprise!!! I was waitng to get more deffinative answers abt my ability to attend b4 springing the good/bad news on you... Sorry Brother!

Post date: 3/31/2011 2:07:41 AM

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hope it goes well, Matt. Siemens is actually putting quite a bit of energy into the launch event and generally trying to be much more supportive of the Solid Edge community. That is part of the reason I got my new job.

If you don't make it because of beta, at least ping me when you are in town. I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Post date: 4/3/2011 3:36:49 PM

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Mark,

Will do, look forward to meeting you.

FYI: I am putting a colleague of mine in contact with you regarding SE integrations as well. He is working on some really cool apps for our Marketing and Field Support teams… His name is Jeff Connelly, I think what he has going on will be very much of interest to SE and should provide a great Use Case fitting exactly into your current tasks…

Post date: 4/4/2011 2:26:38 AM