Client Dll registration

Hi Jason,

I'm having a problem registering an AddIn dll created with the wizard. On my machine it works fine, but on the clients I get a LoadLibrary error when running regsvr32.

I've installed the redist. on the client machines.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Calum

Posted by: Calum McLellan
Post date: 4/23/2007 4:11:56 AM

3 REPLIES

RE: Client Dll registration

Calum,

Search for depends.exe on your machine. Mine is located here: "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\Tools\Bin\Depends.Exe"

Copy Depends.exe, Depends.dll & Depends.cnt over to the client machine and run it. You can drag and drop your addin .dll onto the Depends main window and it will tell you what is missing. Good luck!

Jason

Posted by: Jason Newell
Post date: 4/23/2007 5:31:38 AM

Hi Jason,

Here we go...

The dependencies that are missing are our old friends ATL80.dll, MSVCR80D.dll and MSJAVA.dll!

I originally thought that it was a service pack thing as I installed SP1 for VS2005 at the start of the year, and the StructuredStorage dll registered without a problem and it was compiled before the Service Pack. Sure enough there was an updated version of the redistributable in the Visual Studio Program Files directory... and it didn't help a bit.

I then opened StructuredStorage.dll (also registered on that client machine) and it found all the above mentioned dlls without a problem

I took a look in Windows\System32 and saw that none of the dlls were there (double checked that the redist. was installed - no problem there). I found ATL80.dll in an installation folder for the redist (C:\Windows\WinSxs or something...) and copied it into the System32 directory. Then depends no longer complained about ATL80.dll.

I had a small problem with MSVCR80D.dll until I realised it was a debug dll. I then tried again with a release build after copying MSVCR80.dll into the System32 directory and could register the dll (it seems that MSJAVA was a non-essential dependency - makes sense, I don't know where I would have included it).

I now only have one remaining question: Why did I have to copy the dlls?

I'll have another look tomorrow - my test client from tonight had three OS's installed (2 XP and 1 Vista installation). I'll test on a 'Normal' computer tomorrow.

Cheers

Calum

[P.S. Thanks for the tip - I don't know why I don't think of these things ]

Post date: 4/23/2007 10:08:08 AM

OK,

It seems that after a bit of sleep everything works a bit better

I tested on another machine this morning and as soon as I installed the updated redist. everything worked fine. I can only assume that the other computer needed a restart or something...

Anyway, after installing SP1 for VS2005 you'll need to use the updated redist. for anything you write.

Cheers

Calum

Post date: 4/23/2007 8:44:49 PM