Collating Drafts to single pdf file

[ Edited ]

Hi, Does anyone have experience combining more than one draft file into a single pdf file. The things I have tried in my addin print the drafts OK but each to separate pdf file.Thank you

Posted by: Peter Simpson
Post date: 10/3/2011 11:27:53 AM

6 REPLIES

RE: Collating Drafts to single pdf file

[ Edited ]

Hi Peter,

assuming you are using the Solid Edge internal PDF conversion via SaveAs you have to manipulate a setting in the current user's registry before calling the SaveAs method.

See for reference my answer to this thread:

http://www.jasonnewell.net/Community/Forums/tabid/55/aft/4375/Default.aspx#4379

Posted by: Wolfgang Kunert
Post date: 10/3/2011 11:13:53 PM

[ Edited ]

Thanks Wolfgang, I have tried to use the saveas function as standard in solid edge (not from an addin) and it only does one draft even if multiple drafts are open. It does all the sheets in each draft. But I am trying to collate multiple drafts each with possibly more than one sheet. I have not tried it in the addin yet. Thanks

Post date: 10/4/2011 12:54:33 AM

[ Edited ]

Hi Peter,

ah, you want to combine the results of several PDFs generated by Solid Edge. I thought in terms of combining all sheets of a draft file into a single PDF document.

For this you need external software (i.e. Ghostscript):

gswin32c -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -dAutoRotatePages=/None -q -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -sOutputFile=YourSinglePDF.pdf pdf1.pdf pdf2.pdf

Posted by: Wolfgang Kunert
Post date: 10/4/2011 4:36:39 AM

[ Edited ]

Peter,

you could use iTextSharp as well. This saves you installing ghostscript on the clients.

I do have a sample of how to do this somewhere, just let me know if you want it.

Calum

Posted by: Calum McLellan
Post date: 10/4/2011 5:37:54 AM

[ Edited ]

Thanks Wolfgang and Calum for your suggestions. I will try them both out - If you had an example Calum, I would appreciate itThank You 

Post date: 10/4/2011 11:07:12 AM

[ Edited ]

Hi Calum, If you had an example code to save a draft to pdf using iTextSharp, I would appreciate a copy.Thank youRegards

Post date: 11/14/2011 7:33:05 PM