Conversion Query

[ Edited ]

Does anyone know whether it is possible to convert a draft to a DXF without having to actually open SolidEdge itself? I would like to try and write a batch conversion routine but the intention is that it sill be run by someone without a version of SolidEdge and such will should be independent of SolidEdge.

I'd appreciate anyones comments

Thanks

Ota

Posted by: Wade Bobb
Post date: 1/31/2007 11:55:07 PM

3 REPLIES

RE: Conversion Query

[ Edited ]

Ota,

Sounds like this request is right up SEPowerToys alley. SEPowerToys has the ability to extract each sheet of a Draft file to an Enhanced MetaFile (.emf) without Solid Edge being installed. If you can help me figure out a way to convert an .emf to .dxf I could add this functionality to SEPowerToys. I'm googling for a way now but haven't found much. I'll keep looking.

[Update]

Most of what I've found are commercial products that can take .emf files and convert them to .dxf. Ideally I would be able to provide that functionality directly but I think that my current .emf export of Draft files w/o Solid Edge being installed will get you close to what you want. All you'd have to do is purchase one of those programs and convert the files that I give you. Again, I know it's not ideal but I'm not finding any dxf open-source sites.

Posted by: Jason Newell
Post date: 2/1/2007 10:18:36 AM

[ Edited ]

Jason,

You are certainly right there. Not knowing how SEPowerToys actually extracts the data, but is it possible to extract the data to something other than .emf? Something perhaps that has information readily available on how to convert?

I don't suppose the source is available for SEPowerToys is it?

I appreciate you looking, I shall certainly be doing so to and will let you know should I find anything usefull.

Thanks for your help - I shall keep you posted and hopefully we can overcome this.

Kind regards

Ota

Posted by: Wade Bobb
Post date: 2/1/2007 11:50:47 PM

[ Edited ]

Not knowing how SEPowerToys actually extracts the data, but is it possible to extract the data to something other than .emf?

Solid Edge natively embeds the Enhanced Meta Files in the .dft file. So to extract anything other than an emf would require a conversion routine.

I don't suppose the source is available for SEPowerToys is it?

I have big plans for SEPowerToys but unfortunately, open source is not part of it. Sorry.

Thanks for your help - I shall keep you posted and hopefully we can overcome this.

You're very welcome. I'm still searching for a dxf solution. I too will reply if I find anything useful.

Posted by: Jason Newell
Post date: 2/2/2007 5:44:38 AM