Coordinate data from a surveying tool to make a 3D sketch

Legend
Legend

I want to use CSV data output from a Leica 3D Disto to draw lines in a 3D sketch. Does anyone have a means to do this? Or could I interest someone in writing that code? I would hope it's a pretty simple thing to do.

Using SE since V12, 2002
10 REPLIES

Re: Coordinate data from a surveying tool to make a 3D sketch

Phenom
Phenom

Can you post a sample CSV file you have.

I think I can look in to reading the file and creating sketches.

~Tushar Suradkar

fb.pngSolid Edge Users Facebook Group

Legend
Legend

Hi Tushar,

Thanks for looking at this. I've attached three files, a CSV and a DXF. If you open the DXF in ACAD you can see what the lines are supposed to look like after you turn off all the layers that contain labels and points. Also I've attached an .xls of the CSV with some comments by me. There are 3 columns of coordinates labeled e n and h (East North and Height?) This is the important information as far as I can tell.  The lines are taken from 3 window sills. The files were supplied to me as an example by the dealer.

The forum won't let me upload a file with a csv file extension, so I changed it to txt.

Also, the data are in inches, and I would just be using this as a guide. I wouldn't try to model from it directly. You could round off the numbers to .01 inches and it would work fine.

I've been hoping SE will come up with a direct import of DXF to 3D sketch but it doesn't look like that will happen anytime soon.

Regards,

Larry

Using SE since V12, 2002

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@lking Instead of DXF, can IGES or STEP be used as a export from wherever the DXF is coming from?

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP1

Legend
Legend

The survey data is only lines and points. Maybe arcs, too, I haven't probed it that far. SE can only import 3d solids as far as I can tell. You can import 2d dxfs or 3d as 2d but I want to measure some helical stair stringers and I need the information in all 3 dimensions so I don't drive myself crazy.

Using SE since V12, 2002

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello,

As you have split out each line set, the data can be loaded into surfacing, curve by table.

this creates the 3d curves as per your DXF file example. 

However it would involve a bit of excel magic to create the line sets for a large data set.

Also not sure if the surfacing would give you what you need to produce the 3d model.

I have only done basic stuff using table curves generated from data produced from our CMM.

Also the curves want to follow through each point to create a smooth curve, sounds obvious, but as this seems to be from scan data you really need a best fit line not actually each point, to allow for deviations in the scan data. Unless your window sills are really this shape?

Capture1.PNG

Capture1.PNG

Regards Kevin

Legend
Legend

All I want to do is put the raw data into a sketch so I can use it for a guide to model the existing conditions. I would not use the data for actual modeling, at least not the way I see it now.

Could it be a VBA program in an Excel workbook into which I import the CSV file? I'm thinking I could hightlight a range of coordinates in the workbook to make an array with each row representing a point and then have SE draw 3D sketch lines from the coordinates row by row in the array until it reaches the end of the range. That would be a huge start.

Using SE since V12, 2002

Legend
Legend

I tried the 3D curve. I didn't know I could turn off curve fitting and only see segments, but that works. Getting the data ready is a bit awkward, but it works.

Using SE since V12, 2002

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello Iking,

Yes I had to copy each line segment in separatly to create the individual parts.

Creating a VBA program would not take too much work to bring in the sketches as you need.

Using the csv file example, what output are you looking for?

Regards Kevin

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello,

I was a bit bored so started to pull something together, 

its very basic at the moment,

Run the ExcelTo3D.exe (Rename from .txt) when in a part enviroment.

Select the first 5 columns of the excel sheet,  Line start  --> H end 

Click paste

Click create 3d

if working it should create the 3d sketches for each line.

I am yet to sort the paste units,

but if this works its a good start and I can amend to suit.

Have also included the source for you to edit / see    I use vb express 2015.

My VB skills are very basic so please be gentle, 

Regards 

Kevin