I'm in the process of creating a windows service to generate customer installation drawings in Solid Edge. Has anyone ever created a service that includes running Solid Egde? At present I am haveing a difficult time of it. I keep getting an error in the service install log:
An exception occurred during the Install phase.
System.InvalidOperationException: Unable to get installer types in the c:\documents and settings\rrioch\my documents\projects\3d-assembler\seassemblerservice
The inner exception System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException was thrown with the following error message: One or more of the types in the assembly unable to load..
Of course with a service its a little more difficult to debug problems. This is day 4 of trying to figure this out and frustration abounds.
If anyone has any idea where I can go to start solving this or has run across this problem as well your help would be appreciated. -Thanks
Posted by: Rich Rioch
Post date: 10/31/2006 4:19:33 AM
Google for "Unable to get installer types". I found a bunch of hits.
Specifically try this one:
Posted by: Jason Newell
Post date: 10/31/2006 4:25:19 AM
I did manage to get SE running from a service once. Rather, I never managed to get SE running properly from the service (it was never visible and the API didn't work 100% of the time), I instead used a combination of a service and a COM+ component. The COM+ component did all of the interaction with SE and the service just called the COM+ components methods. See if you can get this running, if not yell out, and I'll see what I can find.
Posted by: Calum McLellan
Post date: 10/31/2006 4:29:39 AM
Thank you both for your responce. With your direction I have been able to get it to work, but not like I expected. I ended up creating the install for the service. This showed all the dependancies I was missing. In my case the SECCtl.ocx for Solid Edge and ICSharpeCode.SharpZib.dll, a MySQL dependancy, need to be added to the install. Once I added the needed libraries, I created the install, ran the install, and was able to get 'installutil.exe' to add the service without any errors. YEaaaaa!!
I attached the debugger to the service and tried it out. Of course first time around it had a hicup. Well such is the life of a programmer
Again, thank you both for your responce.
Posted by: Rich Rioch
Post date: 10/31/2006 8:18:36 AM