Custom Properties question

Genius
Genius

Greetings all,

I haven't written VB code in a long time and am now getting back into it and starting to use Visual Studio 2013 and I have a question regarding Custom Properties.

I am having trouble trying to access the Custom Properties to check to see if an existing Custom property is there.  The examples I have are old and wanted to know if any of you have done this in VS2013

Thanks,

Dale Smith

Mitsubishi Electric

Dale Smith
Mitsubishi Electric Power Products, Inc.
ST10 MP2 - Insight
4 REPLIES

Re: Custom Properties question

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

Dale,

Welcome back! There are a few different approaches (APIs) of determining if a custom property exists. If the file is already open in Solid Edge or you don't mind having Solid Edge open it, you can use the Solid Edge API. If you want to check without opening the file in Solid Edge, we can use the RevisionManager API or the FileProperties API. I can provide an example for any of them. Just need to know which one you're after.

Jason Newell
Applications Architect
www.jasonnewell.net

Genius
Genius

I have the Draft file open in Solid Edge because if the Custom Property does not exisit, I want to add it.

I have the code working to add the Custom Property, but not the Check for existing.

Thanks for your help.

Dale

Dale Smith
ST10 MP2 - Insight

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

Something like this. Let me know if you have any questions.

Option Infer On

Imports System
Imports System.Collections.Generic
Imports System.Linq
Imports System.Runtime.InteropServices
Imports System.Text

Namespace CustomPropertiesDemo
    Friend Class Program
        <STAThread> _
        Shared Sub Main(ByVal args() As String)
            Dim application As SolidEdgeFramework.Application = DirectCast(Marshal.GetActiveObject("SolidEdge.Application"), SolidEdgeFramework.Application)
            Dim draftDocument As SolidEdgeDraft.DraftDocument = CType(application.ActiveDocument, SolidEdgeDraft.DraftDocument)
            Dim propertySets = CType(draftDocument.Properties, SolidEdgeFramework.PropertySets)

Dim invalidProperty = GetCustomPropertyWithChanceOfException(propertySets, "My String Doesn't Exist")
            Dim validProperty = GetCustomPropertyWithChanceOfException(propertySets, "My String")
            validProperty = GetCustomPropertyWithoutChanceOfException(propertySets, "My String")
        End Sub

Private Shared Function GetCustomPropertyWithChanceOfException(ByVal propertySets As SolidEdgeFramework.PropertySets, ByVal propertyName As String) As SolidEdgeFramework.Property
            Dim properties = propertySets.Item("Custom")

' Trying to access a property by name that doesn't exist will throw an exception.
            ' Excpetions are very expensive time wise and can slow down your app.
            Try
                Return properties.Item(propertyName)
            Catch ex As System.Exception
                Console.WriteLine(ex.Message)
            End Try

Return Nothing
        End Function

Private Shared Function GetCustomPropertyWithoutChanceOfException(ByVal propertySets As SolidEdgeFramework.PropertySets, ByVal propertyName As String) As SolidEdgeFramework.Property
            Dim properties = propertySets.Item("Custom")

' Loop through the existing properties until we find the one we're looking for.
            For i As Integer = 1 To properties.Count
                Dim [property] = properties.Item(i)

' Propety names are not case sensitive.
                If [property].Name.Equals(propertyName, StringComparison.OrdinalIgnoreCase) Then
                    Return [property]
                End If
            Next i

Return Nothing
        End Function
    End Class
End Namespace

Jason Newell
Applications Architect
www.jasonnewell.net

Genius
Genius
That did the trick. I was trying to use the old Collection method and didn't have the right syntax for the PropertySets.

As a Thank you, I can send some cold weather your way. It was -20°F this morning here north of Pittsbrrrrrrrrgh

Dale
Dale Smith
ST10 MP2 - Insight