Deployment and Registration help

Hi. I am having trouble deploying my Add-in.

I have almost finished my add-in and wanted to test registering it though regasm.exe and Command Prompt. I am using Jason's templates and I followed the instructions in the Readme file in the samples on github. I execute the command and get a warning RA0000, talking about an unsigned assembly and tells me to give my "assembly a strong name and re-register it". It also says "types registered successfully". But when I run solid edge, it isn't there and I can't find it with Registry Editor. 

When package manager console and use "register-solidedgeaddin" it displays the same command I typed into Command Prompt and works fine. I can also see the same warning message that way too.

Does anyone have any suggestion of what I could be doing wrong or a better way to do it?

Thanks

Keegan

3 REPLIES

Re: Deployment and Registration help

Don't worry about the warning. If I had to speculate what's going on, I'd guess that you're using the wrong regasm.exe for the target machine.

Looking at my PowerShell script that's behind the 'Register-SolidEdgeAddIn' command, here are two variables for regasm.exe.

$regasm32 = 'C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\RegAsm.exe'
$regasm64 = 'C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\RegAsm.exe'

Which one you execute depends on what build of Solid Edge you're targeting. 

$regasm32 will write to
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Wow6432Node\CLSID\{ADDIN_GUID}

$regasm64 will write to
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{ADDIN_GUID}

Note that typically, if you just execute regasm.exe, you'll get the 32 bit version. If you want 64 bit, you have to specify the full path.

Jason Newell
Applications Architect
www.jasonnewell.net

Either I'm losing my mind or something weird is going on. I replied to you a few days ago with a detailed response but now I don't see it...

Couple of things. First, you can ignore the regasm.exe warning.

Second, There are 2 versions of regasm.exe. A 32 bit version and a 64 bit version. Depending on which platform of Solid Edge you're targeting, you'll need to call the appropriate version of regasm.exe.

The PowerShell script behind Register-SolidEdgeAddIn defines the following variables.

$regasm32 = 'C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\RegAsm.exe'
$regasm64 = 'C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\RegAsm.exe'

32 bit addins will be registered at:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Wow6432Node\CLSID\{ADDIN_GUID}

64 bit addins will be registered at:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{ADDIN_GUID}

You can use regedit on the target machine to verify. You also have to be sure that you're executing with administrative privileges.

Jason Newell
Applications Architect
www.jasonnewell.net

Sorry for not getting back earlier, I wanted to confirm it worked by testing it first and didn’t get a change till today.

But I got it to work by running the Framework64 version. So thanks

Maybe I misunderstood the terms but I thought the normal Framework version would work for a 64 bit version of solid edge on a 64 bit operating system.

But thanks for clearing that up.

Thanks

Keegan