Document ID, the GUID type

Legend
Legend

Has anyone ran into duplicate Document IDs for different files?  I'm not talking about Document Number, but rather the ID that is supposed to be a "globally unique identifier".  I was counting on them to be truely unique, so I could use them as a primary index, but apparently using explorer to copy and then rename the file undermines the uniqueness of the files and is a common practice in unmanaged environments.

Second question relating to Document ID, may I just assign a new GUID to the file without wrecking other stuff?  I've tried it on several samples where drafts, assemblies and other parts reference the file and did not notice an affect.  Does anyone know if any part of SE or DM use the Document ID field?  I’m guessing PDM softwares use it and need it to be unique as well.  Perhaps that’s one of the struggles of bringing files into a managed environment when a company starts using managed data the first time.

Those who know me question the assigned user rank.
2 REPLIES

Re: Document ID, the GUID type

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

Duplicate DocID's are common in an unmanaged file system environment for the reason you stated.

I have imported to Insight and Teamcenter and don't remember having to fix them. Just file names.

Insight uses them but I think it fixes them when you import.

Do a test in Drafting just to be sure.

Make a drawing of an assembly and then change the Id of one of the parts. See if the drawing view is okay.

I think the Drawing View uses the Model Increment value to determine if the model geometry changed.

You might also look at "C:\Program Files\Solid Edge ST10\Program\DupFileReport.exe" to find duplicates.

LMGi
www.TLMGi.com

Re: Document ID, the GUID type

Legend
Legend

Thank you for the information and some confirmation Jason. 

I had not tried out that specific test case, so I just ran that a couple times and I cannot find that anything changes. 

Those who know me question the assigned user rank.