Error with ASP.NET & SE (HRESULT)

[ Edited ]

Dear All,

I'm trying to run Solid Edge V20 from a web page developed in ASP.NET and have been running into serious trouble trying to figure out what needs to be done to overcome the following error.

After running a while, I got the error message as: 

The message filter indicated that the application is busy. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8001010A(RPC_E_SERVERCALL_RETRYLATER)).

I have checked all the settings that need to be there. There is no issue of Permission Rights to the folders also.

Also watching the application run, multiple instances / processes called 'Edge.exe' are created, each consuming around 200Mb of memory, and non of which close.  This may be deliberate (parallel processing of the model ?) or may be symptomatic of an unanswered dialogue/message box, meaning that the controlling code creates a new instance of SolidEdge.  Regardless of why the multiple instances are created, they quickly consume all available memory and the server grinds to a halt.

Any solution to this?

Posted by: Prasad Pawar
Post date: 5/20/2008 10:44:40 PM

4 REPLIES

RE: Error with ASP.NET & SE (HRESULT)

[ Edited ]

Prasad,

If there are multiple instance of Edge.exe, then it means that you're creating them and they are not getting released properly. I would start with that and see if the error goes away.

You can also reference this post.

Posted by: Jason Newell
Post date: 5/21/2008 8:36:37 PM

[ Edited ]

Jason,

I have written the code to release them properly but once the program starts, SE performs some operations and in the middle it throws the HRESULT error and it stops the program but edge remains open. It might because of the unanswered dialogue/message box that come during SE working.

Post date: 5/21/2008 9:15:21 PM

[ Edited ]

Prasad,

if you're trying to run Solid Edge from the asp.net worker process you'll probably only run into more and more trouble. I've seen this sort of this from a windows service before.

I work around this problem by using COM+ components to do all of the interaction with Solid Edge (or any Win32 stuff for that matter). The important thing here is to use a COM+ component running as a server app, so that all the process is out of process.

You can get information on creating COM+ components in .Net here:

http://www.codeproject.com/KB/COM/estransactions.aspx

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306296

If you need any help I can dig up an example for you (I'm away for the rest of the week but will check this forum again on monday).

Before you go to all this trouble I would advise a call to WindowsIndentity.GetCurrent() in the code starting Solid Edge - just to be sure that the code is running under the account you think it is.

Cheers

Calum

Posted by: Calum McLellan
Post date: 5/22/2008 12:32:15 AM

[ Edited ]

Calum,

Can you please provide me a code snippet?

In my case, all the SE operation is taking place at the server place and the user (client) gets the output in desired format.

When i run (debug) the application using breakpoints, it works fine (most of the time) but on all the other runs it throws the HRESULT error.

Post date: 5/22/2008 6:54:57 PM