Exception from HRESULT: 0x8001010A (RPC_E_SERVERCALL_RETRYLATER))Error

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hey everyone,

I'm having a problem which gives me a headache...

I made an app which runs for several hours, basicly an Open/Save tool which performs certain operations in files on our database.

Problem is, I get the exception mentioned in the subject from time to time. This seems to be a known issue and is caused by a multi-threaded program which tries to access a single threaded application.

As mentioned here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms228772.aspx

and here:

http://dl2.plm.automation.siemens.com/solidedge/api/sesdk_web/OleMessageFilterUsage.html

...the solution to this problem is to implement the IOleMessageFilter. But now I'm running into a deadlock and my app retries the call forever. In other words, Edge is not recovering from the busy state.

Does anyone have experience with this kind of problem?

10 REPLIES

Re: Exception from HRESULT: 0x8001010A (RPC_E_SERVERCALL_RETRYLATER))Error

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

Several possibilities.

• What type of application is it? Standalone .exe, windows service, etc.
  • How is it executed? Manually by user or scheduled job, etc.
  • Do you set Application.DisplayAlerts = false?

If you are familiar with my Samples for Solid Edge on CodePlex, I am adding a new OpenSave demo in the next release that I wrote recently. That demo utilizes executing OpenSave logic in separate AppDomains and is very robust. I recently tested it with 10K+ files and it worked perfect without even needing to restart Solid Edge.

Jason Newell
Applications Architect
www.jasonnewell.net

Pioneer
Pioneer
  • Its a standalone .exe
  • Its executed manually
  • DisplayAlerts is false

If you want, I can share my code, its no secret. The Open/Save part is not the problem. The problem can occur everywhere in the code, as soon as the server is "busy".

Solution Partner Phenom

I had the same problems too until I used the separate AppDomain technique. The next release of the Samples for Solid Edge is next monday and my OpenSave will be included. Hopefully that will help you get past the issue.

Jason Newell
Applications Architect
www.jasonnewell.net

Pioneer
Pioneer
Ok thanks, I'll certainly take a look at that

Solution Partner Phenom

I didn't get a full monthly release out but I did .zip up the Open\Save demo for you. You can download it at CodePlex.

Jason Newell
Applications Architect
www.jasonnewell.net

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hey Jason,

Thanks for your demo. I took a look at your code and it seems that you did something very similar to my approach. Still, the issue persists: When I lock the screen and unlock it an hour later or so, the app is stuck waiting for the call to be processed. Same happens when I connect to the computer running the program using RDP. I cannot just let the app run and leave the screen unlocked due to security reasons.

I'm uploading my solution, maybe someone can take a look and identify the problem at some point. For now I just have to process less files at once, so the processing time doesn't exceed 8 hours.

Solution Partner Phenom

I took a look at your code. I don't see any separate AppDomain logic for Interop. If you're not using a separate AppDomain for Interop, you absolutely will have issues that youv've described.

Jason Newell
Applications Architect
www.jasonnewell.net

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hey Jason,

I took another look at your demo. I'm having difficulties understanding the whole AppDomain concept and what you did in your code exactly.

From what I understand, the Open/Save part is being done in the "InteropProxy" class which is derived from MarshalByRefObject. Also, you create a new thread for each file you want to touch and in each thread you create a new InteropProxy object which then performs the Open/Save.

My questions:

1. To modify my app, would I have to transfer my "do stuff in SE" part inside a class similar to InteropProxy?
  2. Also, at the moment, I use the "continue" keyword in my foreach-loop to skip files which do not meet a specific requirement. This does not work when inside a thread, as you would exit the thread prematurely. Is the thread part necessairy for the AppDomain to work?

Thanks in advance

Jonas

Solution Partner Phenom

Yes, the actual automation logic happens inside the InteropProxy class that inherits from MarshalByRefObject. The reason for this is because I am creating a new AppDomain for each file that needs to be processed. The AppDomain gets created, an instance of the InteropProxy class is created inside the new AppDomain and executed. After execution, the AppDomain is immediately unloaded. Because .NET uses garbage collection (GC), objects cannot be deterministically released. There are .NET call that you can make to "suggest" GC but that alone is not enough to ensure freeing of objects when you demand it. My example is the only way to deterministically free any COM Interop wrappers and ensure that Solid Edge continues to function as expected.

Regading threading, there are two threads in my example. The first thread is a standard System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker that frees the UI from the main batch processing. The second thread that gets created is a System.Theading.Thread that handles the AppDomain creation and InteropProxy execution. The reason for the 2nd thread is to handle processing an individual file. The key reason to use a System.Threading.Thread in this particular instance is the requirement to set the threads apartment state to STA.

I don't follow your concern about using the "continue" statement in your processing. If you look at my example, I am actually doing similar types of filtering of files too. You just have to figure out where you need to put your filtering. If you need help, post your code with comments where you need help.

Jason Newell
Applications Architect
www.jasonnewell.net