Form Design

After seeing the nice looking interface in Solid Edge Spy, it got me to thinking that my windows forms are plain and drab looking. Does anyone know where I can find some information on sprucing up my applications?

Bob Reinkemeyer

Posted by: Bob Reinkemeyer
Post date: 8/30/2005 8:15:43 AM

9 REPLIES

RE: Form Design

Bob,

www.devcomponents.com/dotnetbar

For $189, this is a steal . I purchased it a couple of months ago and I don't know how I made it without it. I actually did quite a bit of research before buying this product. IMHO, it's the best out there and you get more for your money than anything else that I found. This is the components that Solid Edge Spy uses for the "pretty" stuff .

Posted by: Jason Newell
Post date: 8/30/2005 10:08:07 AM

Got the demo version. One qestion, were do you add the code for say a menu item?

Bob

Post date: 8/31/2005 5:23:19 AM

Bob,

When you installed DotNetBar, it installed a bunch of example \ demo programs that you can look at. You should be able to find them under Start -> Programs -> DotNetBar or something like that.

I guess I could share SES's source code with you .

Let me know if you still need help.

Jason Newell

Post date: 8/31/2005 6:06:46 AM

I should be able to get what I need from the sample program, thanks! I'm a little crippled in the design department. Not much natural talent here. I guess I learned function over form at the beginning. Better ugly and useful than pretty and worthless.

Bob

Post date: 8/31/2005 6:34:40 AM

After adding a background image it seems to slow the program down to a crawl even if i'm just using like a 1x(form height) pixel that is just 1Kb or less its rather annoying. So i gave up on trying to do much with graphics, maybe someone will have some suggestions

Posted by: Michael Foss
Post date: 9/6/2005 6:48:24 PM

Michael,

What were you adding a background image to? Can you provide an example?

Post date: 9/7/2005 5:44:28 AM

I think VS.Net is a lot harder on system resources than VB6 was. I have 512 MB of ram, and it makes my system crawl sometimes. Get Solid Edge fired up, and it REALLY crawls.

Bob

Post date: 9/7/2005 7:33:17 AM

http://incitetruth.com/backstrip.jpg

that is the image that should repeat across the background to make a nice gradiant, i'm sure for a simple gradient there is a way to do it programatically, but I only know what I've taught myself and learned from you and Bob. I figured the smaller file size should make it run faster than a bigger file. the form it is on has alot of groups that enable and disable as items are check and I think what happens is everytime things get enabled/disabled it reloads the background.

when I uploaded the picture it wasted to much page space so I just linked to it.

Posted by: Michael Foss
Post date: 9/7/2005 12:23:23 PM

Hi Michael,

I'm not sure why that image slows things down, but here is a small piece of code to make life easier...

Private Sub Form1_Paint(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.Windows.Forms.PaintEventArgs) _

Handles MyBase.Paint

'Get the graphics object from the event args.

'In another method (eg. the Load event handler) you

'can get a graphics object using

'Dim g As Graphics = Me.CreateGraphics()

'You can replace me with any control that

'has a user interface.

'Note: if you use CreateGraphics you should always

'call g.Dispose() at the end of the method.

Dim g As Graphics = e.Graphics

'Declare the rectangle to paint

Dim rect As New Rectangle(0, 0, Me.ClientSize.Width, Me.ClientSize.Height)

'Declare a gradient brush

Dim b As New Drawing.Drawing2D.LinearGradientBrush(rect, Color.White, _

Color.Blue, Drawing2D.LinearGradientMode.ForwardDiagonal)

'Fill the rectangle

g.FillRectangle(b, rect)

End Sub

Cheers

Calum

Posted by: Calum McLellan
Post date: 9/12/2005 7:27:32 PM