Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Get Solid Edge Edge ID from Drafting View

Gears Honored Contributor Gears Honored Contributor
Gears Honored Contributor

Here's a similar discussion last month where a user asked the same question.

He then PM me and took the discussion offline. V. bad indeed.

The user had got some clues and I gave him some further hints, and we could solve this, just as @Alison1

The user @CADVision promised to post the full code to get the model edge from a DVxxx

But never came back. what a shame Robot Frustrated

Anyway, I am surprised how you did not bump into this recent post, or maybe you did.

https://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/Solid-Edge-Developer-Forum/How-to-getcorresponding-3...

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

@Tushar

I believe, there were other posts with similar questions in the past as I remember of having answered one post similarly like in this thread (at a time, I did not knew about the GetReferenceKey from a 2d drawing geometry object, which could be bound to a 3d design model edge of its model member).

I should probably now search for that old post and repost the new solution, but I didn't. I have to set priorities and the person who was asking may have already found some work around or may no longer need an answer on it.

COMMENT:

I don't like much to point the finger on others, as this is a free forum where anyone can ask question and can liberally post answers, if he/she has found one. Some people only ask, others are mostly answering. There is not always a bilateral exchange of information exchange. We are living in democracy and cannot force anybody to publish full code solutions.

Of course, there are people like you, who spent a lot of time in posting information for others to learn SE programming or using SE better, and are not always recompensated on their effort. This makes me sad, as it is my understanding of good behaviour to be honest with the others and if someone has answered a question to me, at least to thank him/her.

BTW: we don't know what has happened to the other user, he may has moved to another job and there may be good and valid reasons to not jump into an existing thread, just because he already solved the problem in the past.

I am sure, this probably has already happened to me in the past, but maybe I simply did not read the post or I had good reasons (my code was used in a customer project and that customer who paid for it, would not like to see "his" code published in a public forum).

Sorry for that comment being a little bit OFF-TOPIC, but I felt to give my opinion on that.

Hi Martin,

Please don't take me wrong.

My comments were not directed at you. They were either for the OP and for the other person I mentioned.

Your Comments are well taken Smiley Happy

CADVision is my personal acquaintance and had categorically accepted to post the solution since we discussed and solved it together. no pointing fingers my friend.

I do love providing solutions selflessly - just as you, but additionally expect little courtesy and forum etiquettes.

It does hurt when people ask for solutions and vanish after they get it. Only a simple expectation that every discussion should be brought to some logical conclusion and not left open-ended.

Your opinion - both technical and off-beat are valuable and most welcome - always !! keep them coming... Smiley Happy

Best Regards,

Tushar

Solution Partner Phenom

NO, I did not feel offended by you or anyone else.

I absolutely subscribe your comments about courtesy and forum etiquettes, I only wanted to point out that there might be valid reasons for anybody to no longer answer or even visit the forum which should also be respected by all of us.

EDIT:

Is it not up to you or me to judge about these persons. If I feel once offended or think that everyone is just receiving without giving back some feedback, I will take my consequences. Nobody forces me to post here and I may decide one day to no longer post here. Anyway, this may be still a long time to go... as I still love to work and program with Solid Edge, although there a sometimes things which aren't perfect. But that's life ;-)

Creator
Creator

Martin,

I was able to complete the solution with your advice. And I will post the code in a couple of days, which will be helpful for other users.

Thanks Very much, Martin.

Creator
Creator

Hi Tushar,

I will be very happy to share my code as this forum is for knowledge sharing. Give me two days of time. I will create a small part and drawing and then post the code. 

Maybe I missed the post which was already there. Is there any option we can merge the posts with a similar topic?

Please wait for my update with complete solution.

Hi @Alison1

That would be great. I am watching this space.

All:

However, the solution should have come from another discussion, and from a different user since we worked together offline for finding an answer to the same question you asked in this discussion.

I asked him to post the question on this forum with the sole intention of letting others have the benefit of the findings, especially if I am involved in finding a solution.

I was upset since the other discussion should have resulted in the publication of the solution and useful for everyone, which did not happen. This beats the whole purpose of a public discussion group. Is this forum meant for seeking partners who can help with a task and one can then vanish without giving back, at least a feedback? That is very discouraging.

That is how I perceive a public discussion forum. No amount of reasons qualify as an excuse not to share a general piece of information, which one has approached the forum to seek in the first place.

Solution Partner Phenom

@Tushar,

I was also contacted several times through PM by different persons. Although I try to help, I always encouraged them successfully to continue posting their questions in the forums for a few simple reasons:

1.   I may not always have the time to answer in a reasonable time period because of other occupations
  2. In the forum, there are many others reading the same questions and already may have an answer before I could read the post
  3. While posting a question AND receiving an answer in the forum, ANYBODY in the forum will benfit from the solution and learn from it.

Especially, the last aspect gets lost in private messages.

PS: That was my last comment on this as we are going OFF-TOPIC.

Exactly my thoughts.