How to find the license type of Solid Edge?

Creator
Creator

Is it possible to find the license type of Solid Edge, using VB.Net?

I have Premium, Classic and Foundation available licenses on the server.

Thank

Marc Stringer

6 REPLIES

Marc,   That is a good question. If there is a way to det...

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

Marc,

That is a good question. If there is a way to determine this via the API, I can't find it. Thinking about what you're trying to accomplish tough, would it not be possible to determine this by interrogating SELicense.dat? I'll admit that it's not ideal but my understanding is that SELicense.dat dictates which license Solid Edge tries to check out. Just some thoughts.

Jason Newell
Applications Architect
www.jasonnewell.net

Re: Marc,   That is a good question. If there is a way to det...

Creator
Creator
Hi Jason,

The purpose is to log in a database the user's name and the license he took.
So, by creating an app that shows the license type, someone in a need of the premium, for simulation purpose, knows which user to contact.

Marc

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Somewhat simplified but place the LMtools software to a centrally stored location (to save installing to every user's workstation), run the command line for lmstat (lmutil lmstat -a) and parse the textual output for licenses in use, by who etc.

That or install something like PHPlicensewatcher and provide the users with a nice web front end/page that shows who is using what licenses and has the added benefit of tracking your license usage and expiration.

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom
Dave is right on track with my next line of thinking.
Jason Newell
Applications Architect
www.jasonnewell.net

Creator
Creator
Guys,

Thank you for your comments.

The former solution is what I am trying to implement. The latter seems complex to me, but maybe not to you.

The problem I am experiencing with the lmstat is that I am trying to trigger it from any computer. In an Addin from SE, I can't seem to figure out how.
I have put a batch file on the license server and it works when I double click on it.
But when I try to trigger it by the addin from a remote pc, it does not find the file, or the command.
I have tried a lot of combinations, but have found the right one.
I can start an exec file, so I also tried to start the batch from that exec using Process.Start, but no luck.

I'll try harder

Thx

Marc S.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor
You will probably have to share the folder for that batch file on the server so users can see it to run it remotely.

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP3