How to get the face color from an imported model?

Imported model faces seem to be able to have color but the will have no Style property.

You can't even use Part Painter to set them to None.

Anyone know how to get the face color information from a foreign face?

LMGi
www.TLMGi.com
11 REPLIES

Re: How to get the face color from an imported model?

Jason, can you provide a sample model for us (me) to test with?

Jason Newell
Applications Architect
www.jasonnewell.net

Here is a file Jason. This is not really part of a current project. Someone in the forum asked about mapping face colors from foreign files to actual face styles.

I did learn that you can open the foreign file and then save a plmxml file that contains the face color information. I could work with that.

Kinda surprised that the importer doesn't create styles on import.

LMGi
www.TLMGi.com

I haven't had a chance to code anything but I'm eyeing these methods.

void GetFacetData(Double Tolerance, out Int32 FacetCount, ref Double[] Points, [out Object Normals], [out Object TextureCoords], [out Object StyleIDs], [out Object FaceIDs], [Object bHonourPrefs])
   Member of SolidEdgeGeometry.Body

Summary:
    Returns the number of facets and the number of points on the facets for the referenced object. If Tolerance <= 0, then data is returned from the geometry cache, and not from Parasolid.
Object GetFaceByFaceID(Int32 FaceID)

Summary:
    Returns a face using a face ID.
void SetFacesStyle(Int32 NumberOfFaces, ref Object[] FacesArray, ref SolidEdgeFramework.FaceStyle#SolidEdgeFramework.FaceStyle Style)

Summary:
    Sets the Faces style.

I'll give these methods a try next chance I get.

Jason Newell
Applications Architect
www.jasonnewell.net

Hi, @JasonTitcomb

I am facing the same problem! Do you have some new suggestions?

Thanks

Guan

I can't save .x_t to .plmxml. An error prompt shows up.

I export my .asm to .x_t at first. Then import .x_t to .par. (all parts in .asm become construction models in imported .par file. I think this is the only way to do that in Solid Edge ST4).

My goal is to keep the 'relationship' between original parts and the construction models. For example, in .asm, some faces come from a part (maybe P1.par). After convertion, the imported .par file contains the corresponding construction model (with the same set of faces). I have to entangle this construction model to P1.par. 

Is there a way to export an int or string or something else for faces? I know COLOR is of course associated with faces, but it can't be retrived after importing (-_-)!!

I realy don't know if this info is useful, but I'll offer it anyway just in case. No use to you in ST4 and I can't remember which version of SE this came in, but an assembly to part conversion through x_t now yields multi-body part files, each orginal assy part having its own solid body (no constructions) Also, the imported solid bodies inherit the face styles from the components in the source assembly.

Can confirm that the Part.Models(x).Body.Style FaceStyle is also Nothing. Thought I was onto somthing with that...

[ Edited ]

Hi guys,

There is an opensource macro that gives you the face style of a model when you move the mouse over a face. It runss in part and sheetmetal environments

Take a look at https://facestyleeyedropperforsolidedge.codeplex.com/

Thanks to jtitcom for share.

Hope it helps.

Héctor Pelayo Izquierdo
Engineering Department, JAE Ingeniería y Desarrollos, S.L.
Solid Edge ST9 MP5 | NX 9
Development: VB.NET

Uppsss,

I realized that the author of this macro is JasonTitcomb, who started this thread.

LOL

Héctor Pelayo Izquierdo
Engineering Department, JAE Ingeniería y Desarrollos, S.L.
Solid Edge ST9 MP5 | NX 9
Development: VB.NET