Solved! Go to solution

How to insert new geometry?

Hello,

this sounds like it should be very easy but I can't figure it out: how can I add new geometry (Face, Edge or Vertex) programatically to a document? I can access the collections of elements of an already opened document but I am unable to insert new ones.

I need this to be able to use the method MinimumDistance on Part or Assembly - I would like to use this method to measure the distance from an arbitrary point. 

Thanks for any advice on this.

5 REPLIES

Re: How to insert new geometry?

[ Edited ]

Just to use MinimumDistance?

You can create a new surface or plane for do that (If you have this option). Then you can get faces, vertices, and other geometries from these features.

Can not you create planes and surfaces?

==========================
Kabir Costa
Industrial Designer
kabircosta@gmail.com
Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author Kammie
‎04-12-2017 04:29 AM

You could also use points or coordinate systems. Thes you can put anywhere relative to you ref planes

Thank you very much for the suggestions. The thing is, a am a complete beginner with Solid Edge so I am not really sure how to add new surface to a document and I can't find any relevant example in the Solid Edge samples.

I managed to get the Vertex I need by creating a profile from lines2d and then adding it to models using the method AddFiniteExtrudedProtrusion(). However, it seems like an overkill just to get a single Vertex to use in MinimumDistance Smiley Sad 

Could you please point me to how to define a plane or surface so that I could get the Vertex information from it? Sorry for my ignorance and thanks again.

No problem Kammie,

If you want, you can learn Solid Edge Programming on Youtube in this link:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLZyAyG4_KmYk8nYLT9k9M2ttKL7JQ0nTF

Or learn by the Github (created by jlnewell):

https://github.com/SolidEdgeCommunity/Samples

In these link have tutorials and codes that explain how create surface and planes.

Can you send images of your problem?

==========================
Kabir Costa
Industrial Designer
kabircosta@gmail.com

Thank you for the suggestions on tutorials, it will be useful. I managed to solve the problem by using coordinate axis.