How to open a file in SolidEdge in Asynchronous mode

[ Edited ]

Hi,

Can anyone explain me how to open a file in asynchronous mode, so that the process will be faster. My actual requirement is to convert the given file to PDF format. So i wrote a script in C# that opens the given file(s) in SolidEdge then saveas to PDF. This process is taking some time. I can to know that things can be done in asynchronous mode in SolidEdge, So can anyone help me in this regard.

Thanks in advance,

Regards

Venkata Ramesh V

Posted by: Venkata Ramesh Virodhula
Post date: 6/29/2011 2:25:18 AM

8 REPLIES

RE: How to open a file in SolidEdge in Asynchronous mode

[ Edited ]

Venkata,

good joke ;-) The term synchronous in Solid Edge seems to have fooled you.

A good way either to improve the performance of creating a mass of PDF files from Solid Edge DFT files via Solid Edge automation is to reuse the Solid Edge instance for all of your DFT files instead of starting and quitting Solid Edge for each single DFT file. BUT this requires some extra action to be taken under .NET to get rid of hangs due to server busy errors. See the Solid Edge Programming help for implementing and using your own OLE Message Queue for that, and 2nd call the DoIdle method of the Solid Edge application object after closing each draft document and before opening the next one. You also should make the Solid Edge application object invisible and not interactive to get some more performance out of it.

Posted by: Wolfgang Kunert
Post date: 6/29/2011 9:49:12 PM

[ Edited ]

Thanks Wolfgang.

So first thing there is no Concept called Asynchronous mode,thanks again.

Will it be possible to open solidedge and a file in background process ? Something like -  when you want to traverse through all the sub-assemblies or parts in an assembly i am using RevisionManager which helps me to work without evening opening SolidWorks . Since i am not opening the solidedge or the required files, the results were very fast.So i need something in this way. Can i work in the same fashion, that is can i convert a *.DFT into *.PDF without opening the SolidEdge.

Till last week i worked on VB 6, there i used the same instance of SE as you mentioned and i even used DoIdle to avoid hanging of the server.Thanks for this.

Hey Wolfgang since i am very new to this customization using C# , i am finding it difficult even to open a file.

In VB 6  objdoc.open(FileName) opens the file whereas in C# it is asking for so many arguments,i checked the manual it is given in vb only so could you help me with this simple thing also.

Thanks & Regards

Venkata Ramesh V

Post date: 6/30/2011 12:57:17 AM

[ Edited ]

Venkata,

Solid Edge ST and later comes with a new PDF document "Programming Solid Edge" "m28000.pdf". It is also reachable from within Solid Edge on its help bar. In this document you will find sample code for .NET written in C# and VB.NET.

In order to create PDF files by simply calling the SaveAs method full Solid Edge is required. As an alternative you might use the Soldi Edge draft OCX control which allows to copy the contents of a sheet to the clipboard in EMF format and then process the EMF format on your own with the help of .NET GDI Plus and Ghostscript etc.

Post date: 6/30/2011 1:28:14 AM

[ Edited ]

Hi Wolfgang thanks for the reply. I didnt found m28000.pdf (i am using SolidEdge V20) . I had a pdf that is "V15_ProgrammersGuide_MU28000.pdf", it is not in C#. So could share that m28000.pdf for me.

Thanks & Regards

Venkata Ramesh V

Post date: 6/30/2011 3:41:38 AM

[ Edited ]

Hi Venkata,

it is not allowed to share documents with copyright. May be you can get a distribution DVD of Solid Edge ST3 from your reseller or another legal source. By the way - the name of the document is "mu28000.pdf" not "m28000.pdf" as i stated above.

Regarding the arguments optional in VB.NET you can//have to specify them with Missing.Value in C#.

Post date: 6/30/2011 6:56:00 AM

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the work Wolfgang Whenever there is an argument (optional) , Missing.Value is taking care there,thanks for this. By the way i will check the DVD for the Help manual.

Thanks Again

Venkata Ramesh V

Post date: 6/30/2011 9:09:03 PM

[ Edited ]

Hi Ramesh,

I think the .net Programmers Guide is on the siemens website here:

http://www.plm.automation.siemens.com/en_us/Images/Solid_Edge_API_tcm1023-125829.pdf

This appears on first glance to be the same as the mu2800.pdf document that ships with SE, however I'm not sure which version this is specific to.

Note to Siemens - at least put us a publish date in this document so we can tell what changes have been made (if any). (I stand corrected if anyone can point me to this!)

I think this is the document that Jason authored originally, maybe he can tell us if its been significantly revised since!??

Cheers,

Alex

Posted by: Alex Lush
Post date: 6/30/2011 9:21:31 PM

[ Edited ]

Thanks Alex for sharing the url. I had that PDF and i hope that is SE_ST2.

Can you help me ....My actual requirement is to convert solidedge files to *.PDF , the problem is before the SE file completely opens, my saveas command is executing. So before completely opening the file, pdf is created,So this is having half file(i mean not a complete file is created to PDF). So i need to give some time to SolidEdge so that it will completely opens the SE files which i am not able to do so.

Thanks in Advance

Regards

Venkata Ramesh V

Post date: 7/10/2011 11:16:04 PM