How to open documents silently

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

In an unrelated dicussion here in the forums, we got a tip from @RDH on how to do just that. If you've ever had the need to open documents silently (no window) in Solid Edge, this blog post is for you. 

Jason Newell
Applications Architect
www.jasonnewell.net
5 REPLIES

Re: How to open documents silently

Solution Partner Legend Solution Partner Legend
Solution Partner Legend

Jason,

thanks for these insights. Would be interesting whether this really works in all circumstances. I remember cases, where some API calls only worked, if there was a window of a certain minimum size available AND visible.

Also would be interesting which other magic option values exist.

Kind regards,
Wolfgang Kunert - www.wksyspro.de
Highlighted

Solution Partner Phenom

Jason,

sometimes it is good to check for solutions in older posts.

This tip has already been posted back in 2010 by RD and in 2009 by me (but I got this tip directly from RD ;-) Kudos to him!!

How to open a Document silently in Solid Edge

Solution Partner Legend Solution Partner Legend
Solution Partner Legend

Solid Edge development should provide such information in the Solid Edge API help file, instead of communicating it upon request only, directly to persons or in the forum.

The API documentation is quite often very poor in giving some more detailed information. Seems to me there is not enough quality assurance to ensure developers to add their documentation to the comment headers being used by the help file generation process.

Just my opinion.

Kind regards,
Wolfgang Kunert - www.wksyspro.de

Solution Partner Phenom

Wolfgang,

I totally agree with you and I already mentioned this in other posts on the forum, that planning or whoever designs the new API should provide samples or at least be more specific on how to use them and PLEASE forward this information to the people who write the documentation!!

I am sure there always exists code to test the API and this could be a starting point for a sample in the documentation. Even, if it does not do anything special, at least we can see which and what type of arguments need to be provided.

Siemens already has the complete SDK documentation online, so why not allow to comment on it like the MSDN does?

It could be a way to provide sample code by us, the users and/or to mention about any pre- and post conditions of the API usage, which fails in most cases of the documentation.

Hopefully, these comments would the base to update and complete the API documentation by Siemens (and removing the comments afterwards)

Solution Partner Phenom

Thanks for the feedback. I'll make sure the right people see your comments.

Jason Newell
Applications Architect
www.jasonnewell.net