I am running ST6 and having hardware problems.

Creator
Creator

I  am running ST6 and having hardware problems. What are the real world machine requirements?

I am using a Dell Precision T5400 with 8GB of ram 7200rpm hard drive, and Nividia graphics board with twin DVI outputs. The board is about four generations old. 

The drafting view is not as sharp as an Inventor drawing

Synchronous solutions react very slowly (especially in redraw)

6 REPLIES

64 bit Windows 7/8, 8GB RAM or better, workstation graphi...

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

64 bit Windows 7/8, 8GB RAM or better, workstation graphics

What kind of issues are you having?

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP1

Re: 64 bit Windows 7/8, 8GB RAM or better, workstation graphi...

Creator
Creator
I am running Windows 7 Pro with 8GB of ram and a graphics board with 512MB on board,
I am using digital monitors and Edge takes for ever to form a solution

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor
What graphics board do you have, and be quite a bit more descriptive of what your issue is...
Is it in assembly recalculating relationships?
Is it in Draft processing drawing views?
Is it in part recalculating features

Thanks,
Ken

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

The "Dell Precision T5400" should be fine for running Solid Edge on....with 512MB video, it'll be either an Quadro FX1700 or FireGL V7600. Both are fine.

Could it be something further along the data management process that is causing the go-slow? Is your data local, or on a server??

My machine spec's:

SPECCY_08012014.png

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP2] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor
I'm assuming you are running the latest graphics driver for your card. We have FX1700's here and needed to update the drivers for ST6 to get to work properly. Get the driver from the NVIDIA site.

Thanks,
Ken

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom
Windows 7 Pro is available in 32-bit or 64-bit editions. You state you are running 8GB RAM but just to confirm, you do have Windows 7 64-bit? Seems silly but I've seen it before -- more RAM than the OS can support.

Also, are you running 32-bit or 64-bit Solid Edge?

Make sure that your Windows swap size is set to 2X RAM for both the minimum and maximum settings.

Clean out your %temp% folder, especially if you are not in the habit of doing this regularly (which you should be).

Temporarily uninstall your anti-virus and retest. With anti-virus removed if Solid Edge performance improves you will need to reinstall the anti-virus and configure it appropriately for Solid Edge.

Are your Solid Edge files on a network? If so, temporarily copy the files to the local workstation and open locally. Does the performance improve? If so the issue is with your network and/or server layer.

Do you have any Solid Edge add-ins installed? If so temporarily remove (not disable but remove) these and retest. If the issue improves with add-ins removed then the issue is your add-ins.

Speaking of add-ins are you running a 3D mouse device with Solid Edge? In the past I have seen instances where a "hung" space ball will be sending commands to the program causing slow down. If running a space ball, temporarily remove and uninstall the software. If performance improves with the 3D mouse removed, the 3D mouse is the issue.

You state "what are the world real requirements?" Well what are you modelling? If you are modelling an entire vehicle such as a 150K parts in a locomotive assembly in Solid Edge and opening the top level vehicle in Solid Edge with 8 GB RAM then yes performance would be less than desirable.

Again, without knowing what you are modelling, 8GB RAM may or may not be sufficient but what else do you have running in the background when you see slow Solid Edge performance? How many Solid Edge windows/models do you have open? How many non- Solid Edge programs do you have running in the background i.e. e-mail, ERP connections, internet streaming, etc. Any evaluation of Solid Edge performance must initially be done on an idle system i.e. no other programs running and with a single model open. Then you can continue to add overhead until you see the point of slow down.