Introductions!

Siemens Valued Contributor Siemens Valued Contributor
Siemens Valued Contributor

HI all,

Mark here.  I actually wrote my first Solid Edge addin in C++ over 10 years ago to launch Femap and transfer the Solid Edge geometry to it. I've forgetten everything since then :-(

Anyone else doing anything cool with the Solid Edge API?  Any ideas for something useful?

8 REPLIES

Re: Introductions!

Phenom
Phenom

I do a lot of sheetmetal work and wrote a macro to batch save flat patterns to DXF for a project. I think it's kind of a hole in the software abilities to be able to blow through dozens of part edits at once in synchronous at the assembly level, and then have to go into each file and Save As Flat from there in order to get the changes out to manufacturing. I've always wanted something more official in SE for this kind of thing. I'll be looking through the resources here now to hopefully improve error-handling and all the other little things that I could never figure out how to do properly in my code.

-Dylan Gondyke

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Dylan,

Automating the DXFs was the first thing I did as well. Lately I've been working on programs that read the sales order, compile an aggregate BOM, and make the assemblies and draft files.

Terry Tyson
Software Automation Designer

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Dylan & Terry,

Automating DXF's is also a program that i wrote as well. Then a program to allow for modification to part properties at the assemble level that allows for automatic assemble drafts and boms. Currently working on a Costing Macro that allow for price estimation of sheet metal parts.

Andrew Bourgeois,

Product Designer/CAD Administrator.

Phenom
Phenom

Very neat stuff Andrew and Terry. Terry, you're just populating an assembly with virtual components when you do this? Andrew, what kind of variables do you take into account in your costing macro? I have a hacked-together macro of my own for that as well.

My favorite macro is probably my laser file revision checker, which makes sure all of the laser programs for each detail are up to date with the latest detail changes. It saves me untold legwork trying to track revisions through the laser software.

-Dylan Gondyke

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

PLM World Member Experimenter PLM World Member Experimenter
PLM World Member Experimenter
Hello all, Nate Emler here from Ariel Corporation in Mount Vernon, OH. I am an Engineering Programmer. My job(s) is to do all the custom programming the Design Engineering and Drafting groups here and also maintain all the engineering software including Solid Edge for the whole company. We have 38 licenses and approximately 90ish workstations with it installed. I have created applications from one that compares two different Draft files and tells you dimensional differences for our checkers to be able to check drawings easier against earlier revisions or against reference prints. Also a program to create a Family of Parts file from an Excel Spreadsheet, to a Spellchecker before Solid Edge created theirs and still think mine works better. Also several other macros, add-in's, and applications that we use on a daily basis. It will be nice to have a spot here at Solid Edge to official finally gather outside of the BBS or Jason's wonderful site.
Thanks,
Nate Emler
Engineering Programmer
Ariel Corporation

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Dylan, I don't even know what a "virtual" component is. Smiley Sad

We have models of the purchased parts that just get inserted and positioned in the assembly and we have pipe that gets cut to length and inserted. We also have other sub-assemblies and sheet metal parts, etc.
Terry Tyson
Software Automation Designer

Creator
Creator

David here,

Created an addin with dozens of special commands.  My favorite (and most time saving) is the auto-hole-table-filler-outter.  The standards our company uses arent exactly a standard, so special callouts are used for different hole features.  So when you have a 100+ hole table, its nice to populate it in seconds.