Is Revision Manager slow in ST9?

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hi All,

We have an existing app, written in C# which uses the Revision Manager API to open an assembly and generate a list of its components.

The line of code which takes the time are as follows. 

RevisionManager.Application revMgrApp;

revMgrApp= new RevisionManager.Application();

Has anyone else noticed a decrease in speed of the API? - Or even just on the startup of the revision manager? Or.... any suggestions on what might be causing it?

Thanks in advance.

8 REPLIES

Re: Is Revision Manager slow in ST9?

Genius
Genius

Hi SEWarrior12, we have a similar program that uses the rev man api.  I cannot see a noticable change in process time on our assemblies when we went to ST9.  It will recurse on each assembly but only opens rev man application once and rev man is hidden or does not have a window.  The recusive function takes a RevisonManager.Document as a parameter.  Our assemblies typically have less than 500 parts.

I have not recompiled the program in quite a few years, the reference properties says I'm using Interop.RevisionManager.dll version 1.0.0.0

Those who know me question the assigned user rank.

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hi bnemec,

I have observed there are differences when starting new application. We are copying numbber of parts/assemblies from one folder to another folder. Therefore everytime we are starting(Operations performed Smiley Surprisedpening the document,copying ,copyng likned documents,renaming and replacing) and closing the revision manager. This we are doing for every assembly /part(100 times in one application); thats why I am seeing the difference. 

Genius
Genius
I'm assuming the startup time is a result of the overhaul they gave Revision Manager, now Design Manager, which I believe was new for ST9. Do you >need< to open and close the application each time? I would close the document as soon as you're done with it, but thinking about how I use Design Manager (GUI) throughout the day I don't close it every time.

Those who know me question the assigned user rank.

Pioneer
Pioneer

@jnewell : Have you obeserved any difference ? Or some issue at my side.

-Onkarp

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

I'm not currently doing any Solid Edge development so I don't have any insights. Sorry

Jason Newell
Applications Architect
www.jasonnewell.net

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@SEWarrior12Since the executable name changed from icnct.exe to desmgr.exe, is it possible that a previous virus scanner exclusion for the Revision Manager executable is no longer working for Design Manager executable and thus it is being scanned everytime it starts?

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP7
Testing: ST10

Pioneer
Pioneer

KennyG,

Thanks for the response. This might be the reason but we are not sure about the excat reason,correct?

My concern is mainly related when working with Automation object of the revision manager.

-OnkarP

Pioneer
Pioneer
Ok. No problem.