Learning Programming, What to Start With

[ Edited ]

Hello everyone,

I'm asking all experienced programmers out there what I should start with to study programming.  I went to Barnes & Nobel this weekend and browsed the programming section.  I was easily confused by the C++, VB 6, VB 2008, VB.NET, ASP.NET.  They all seemed to promise (reading the back) the same thing.

I've been a CAD man for a while (AutoCAD, Solid Works, Solid Edge) and want to do more programming.  The kind of programming that I come to JasonNewell.NET forums and ask for help to create.

Knowing what you know now (Experienced Programmers), is there one programming language that you wish you started with or are they all a shot in the dark because they all do the same thing.

Let me know if you might need more info from me to steer me in the right direction.  I just don't want to buy a $40 book and find out I should've selected differently.

Thank you in advance,

Todd

Posted by: Todd MacKay
Post date: 2/11/2009 1:56:39 AM

2 REPLIES

RE: Learning Programming, What to Start With

[ Edited ]

Todd,

That's a really tough question to answer for many different reasons. .NET is really good for most things but it fails way short when interacting with COM API's like Solid Edge's. You can fully automate Solid Edge with .NET but then you'll have problems with freeing COM objects and such. C++ works awesome with COM API's but it's more difficult to work with. Forget Visual Basic 6. It still works but it's a dead product.

I've found that having experience in all of the languages allows me to use whatever is the best for the problem at hand.

If I had to pick any one of them for you to start with, I'd choose one of the .NET languages. VB.NET or C#.NET.

Posted by: Jason Newell
Post date: 2/11/2009 6:48:31 AM

RE: Learning Programming, What to Start With

[ Edited ]

Posted By Jason Newell on 02/11/2009 12:48 PM

Todd,

That's a really tough question to answer for many different reasons. .NET is really good for most things but it fails way short when interacting with COM API's like Solid Edge's. You can fully automate Solid Edge with .NET but then you'll have problems with freeing COM objects and such. C++ works awesome with COM API's but it's more difficult to work with. Forget Visual Basic 6. It still works but it's a dead product.

I've found that having experience in all of the languages allows me to use whatever is the best for the problem at hand.

If I had to pick any one of them for you to start with, I'd choose one of the .NET languages. VB.NET or C#.NET.

Thank you so much!!  Now I have a starting point and it looks like I'll start with one of those books.

Thanks again!

Posted by: Todd MacKay
Post date: 2/12/2009 7:20:20 AM