Let's play shoot the newbie!

[ Edited ]

Hi everyone,

I'm a newbie on this site although I share almost 5 years of experience on Solid Edge and 10+ as a mechanical designer.  I also did my share as an Application Engineer for EDS/UGS/Siemens PLM for Solid Edge and Velocity Series product,  specializing in rendering with VS+ (SE extension).  Many UGS calendar were created by yours truly.   I'm now self-employed as CAD consultant, mechanical design and rendering creation.  I'm an active member on the BBS solid_edge newsgroups.

I'd like to start programming SE but I have 0 knowledge in that area.  I remember some LOGO and BASICA work back in high school but...  I'd like to hear from you gurus on how you started and maybe have links to good tutorials.

I'm sure I'll find plenty of info on this site and hope to make my contribution eventually.

See ya,

Francis

Posted by: Francis Robert
Post date: 5/16/2008 10:17:00 AM

3 REPLIES

RE: Let's play shoot the newbie!

[ Edited ]

Francis,

first of all choose a programming language. On my site I prefer .Net C# 2.0.

You can get the .Net 2.0 SDK for free and also a free IDE from icsharpcode.net.

After that, just follow some starter guides for your desired programming language.

For code samples search this forum, or ask.

Sibi

Posted by: Seb Sosna
Post date: 5/18/2008 11:44:31 AM

[ Edited ]

Hi Francis and welcome to the forums.

You might find that VB.NET is a little more forgiving than C#.  My preference in order is C++, C# then VB.NET.  You can download VB.NET Express for free at http://www.microsoft.com/express/2005/.

Also check out my Downloads page for previous years Solid Edge Summit's that I've spoken at.  They should have plenty of examples for you to learn from.  Solid Edge has a very large and rather complex API so expect it to take time getting used to things.

I can also tell you that V21 will have a new Programmer's Guide and updated SDK Help thanks to Solid Edge outsouring the work to me.

Just let us know if you need anything.

Posted by: Jason Newell
Post date: 5/20/2008 7:48:23 AM

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the welcome and congrats to you Jason for the work with the Huntsvillians.  I'm sure they'll treat you right and expect to see your work in few weeks.

I will most likely start with VB.NET, based on what I saw so far in the region's customer base and local resources I know.

I downloaded the 2008 Express version, should I regress to 2005?  I should go in productions with my programs and sometime the latest is not the greatest.

Thanks again,

Francis

Posted by: Francis Robert
Post date: 5/20/2008 12:43:42 PM