Linking Excel Files to Assemblies

[ Edited ]

I am setting up a program that basically builds a portion of our product that is basically the same everytime it's used. Right now I've got the program to where it can build the entire thing, and all the variables are linked to the excel file, which is used for quick adjustment of the asm so that you change a dim. there and everyting updates to fit that change. But the next time the file is opened after it has been created, the excel file is no longer linked. To get past this i have to tell the asm. to add it to the list of linked obj. In SE it is done by clicking binder in the edit menu and adding the file. I need to do that programatically but i can't find the command needed. When the add btn. is clicked in the binder window it brings up the insert object window if that helps any.

On a side note, there was another post a while back about someone asking how to link variables to other files. Well i don't know how to link them to another SE file but to paste the link you have to copy the data you want to link to then use the command objvar.EditFromClipboard(Varname) on the variable you want to link.

EX.

Call objsheet.Cells(5, 2).Copy 'Copy data from excel file

Call var.EditFromClipboard("Cut_Width") 'paste link to cell

Posted by: Nick Parrish
Post date: 5/11/2006 4:59:06 AM

2 REPLIES

RE: Linking Excel Files to Assemblies

[ Edited ]

Nick,

I took a glance into this for you but I just don't see a way to get to that from the API. I have an article on how to do this within Draft but I have no idea how to do it in Assembly.

Sorry

Posted by: Jason Newell
Post date: 5/15/2006 1:18:37 PM

RE: Linking Excel Files to Assemblies

[ Edited ]

Jason,

Thanks for looking. It has to be there somewhere b/c it can be done through SE. So I'm going to keep looking for a way. I'll post it here if I find it before someone else.

Posted by: Nick Parrish
Post date: 5/16/2006 6:41:38 AM