MIGRATING FROM SHAREPOINT V2 TO V2 ON A NEW SERVER

[ Edited ]

Looking for best practises on moving our data to a new server. We are wanting to

reconstruct our sites differently because they were not setup correctly the first

time. We have about 30,000 files and 22 gig of data. The new server is a Dell

Poweredge 2800 and we would like to get it running asap.

Thanks

Posted by: KEVIN WITT
Post date: 3/8/2006 10:50:24 AM

1 REPLY

RE: MIGRATING FROM SHAREPOINT V2 TO V2 ON A NEW SERVER

[ Edited ]

Kevin,

Good to hear from you. I wish I had confidence enough in my abilities to give you a really good solution but I don't. My company hasn't used Insight for about 1 1/2 years so I'm getting really out of touch with it. I will though share my thoughts on the matter.

I do not know of an easy way to "reconstruct the sites". UGS has not provided an easy method of moving files around without breaking your links. Revision Manager is an option but it's very time consuming. My company attempted to migrate from V1 to V2. We were one of the first companies that I know of to use their migration utility. It was absolutely horrible in my opinion. I ended up writing a custom migration tool and indeed worked very well. We were on the brink of implementing SAP's DMS so we ended up scrapping the Insight migration.

I believe that someone like myself could code the migration for you but it would be a really big project and take quite a bit of time and testing. I think your best bet would be to get your VAR to help you, if you haven't already. I know that there are some folks at UGS who help customers with these kind of issues.

Another alternative is to hire a custom programmer. I know Calum McLellan is really up to speed with Insight right now and he's a very good programmer.

Good luck and let me know if there is anything that I can do for you.

Posted by: Jason Newell
Post date: 3/10/2006 8:09:14 AM