Match Coordinate Systems

Hi,

Is there any difference while using API

while working with Base Coordinate system and Custom coordinate system while working in Solid Edge?

Note: Custom Coordinate system created

using this option.

6 REPLIES

Re: Match Coordinate Systems

[ Edited ]

I'm not sure if I'm understanding your question properly, but there is nothing in the SE API that allows us to programmatically place parts in an assembly by matching coordinate systems. You have to get the planes from each of the coordinate systems and then align those planes. If you use the match coordinates through the UI, you get the same result. Three aligned plane relationships. 

I recently completed a highly complex development project that made a lot of use of this technique and I didn't come across any differences between dealing with base or custom coordinate systems.

Yes. I am asking about the same which you mentioned.

I am also taking the 3 planes(faces)from coordinate system object and using same those for applying planar constraints.

I am asking this because sometimes I am getting exception while using the same API of Plane when working with coordinate system other than base coordinate system.

Thanks,

Onkar

Now you mention it, I do remember encountering some 'reliability' issues with the process I described above. For no apparent reason and very occasionally, SE would throw an exception. If I stepped the code back though and tried again, it would work! I think I had to trap any errors if they occured and just get SE to try the operation again. This has proved to work reliably in production, even though this 'solution' did feel like a nasty workaround at the time!

Dave,

Just to know which version of SE you used when you also got exception while working on this .

I have used ST7 but when I tried the same code on ST8 it worked correctly.

Thanks,

Onkar

That's useful information! Thanks for sharing and yes, the project I mentioned was for a customer who was using ST6. Glad to see that the issue seems to have gone away with ST8.

I don't know whether this is anything to do with the problem, but in the SE User Forum someone (12GAGE) posted about the directions or offsets relative to Co-ordinate system planes being slightly different to the base planes.

this is the link to the thread

http://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/Solid-Edge-Forum/Reference-planes-vs-Implied-coordina...

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST7 MP10 on Windows 7 Pro 64.