Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modify SE variables with VB

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello guys & gals,

The company I work for recently bought Solid Edge and Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 and I need help! My question is, how do I connect to a variable that is already in the Solid Edge variable table and modify it? I can use the following script to add a variable and modify the value of that variable, but being the newbie that I am, I can't figure out how to modify a variable that is already in the variable table.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

ImportsSystem.Runtime.InteropServicesPublic Class Form1PrivateSub Form1_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) HandlesMyBase.LoadDim objApplication As SolidEdgeFramework.Application = NothingDim objPart As SolidEdgePart.PartDocument = NothingDim objVariables As SolidEdgeFramework.Variables = NothingDim objVariable As SolidEdgeFramework.variable = NothingTry' Connect to a running instance of Solid Edge objApplication = Marshal.GetActiveObject("SolidEdge.Application")' Get a reference to the active document objPart = objApplication.ActiveDocument' Get a reference to the variables collection objVariables = objPart.Variables'Add a variable objVariable = objVariables.Add("Dim0", "1")'Change the formula of the variable to a function objVariable.Formula = Math.Sin(0.1).ToString()'Change the name of the variable objVariable.Name = "Dim1"'Change the value of the variable. This will not change the value of the variable objVariable.Value = 1'Change the formula of the variable to a static value This causes the formula to be removed and sets the valueobjVariable.Formula = "456"'Change the value of the variable. It works now objVariable.Value = 789'Delete the variable objVariable.Delete()Catch ex As ExceptionConsole.WriteLine(ex.Message)FinallyIfNot (objVariable IsNothing) ThenMarshal.ReleaseComObject(objVariable)objVariable = NothingEndIfIfNot (objVariables IsNothing) ThenMarshal.ReleaseComObject(objVariables)objVariables = NothingEndIfIfNot (objPart IsNothing) ThenMarshal.ReleaseComObject(objPart)objPart = NothingEndIfIfNot (objApplication IsNothing) ThenMarshal.ReleaseComObject(objApplication)objApplication = NothingEndIfEndTryEndSubClassEnd  

Posted by: Eddie Miller
Post date: 12/2/2008 8:29:46 AM

2 REPLIES

RE: Modify SE variables with VB

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

You need to use the Query method, passing it the name of the variable (you can also use wildcards). Sorry, couldn't find a decent code example but this should get you started:

Dim results As VariableList

results = objVariables.Query("MyVariable")

Debug.WriteLine(results.Item(1).Name) 'Pretty sure it's a 1-based collection

Hope this helps

Calum

Posted by: Calum McLellan
Post date: 12/2/2008 9:35:05 PM

RE: Modify SE variables with VB

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Got it!

Thanks a bunch Calum.

Posted by: Eddie Miller
Post date: 12/3/2008 12:35:09 AM