Need Help with Edge Based Lofted Profile via API

Experimenter
Experimenter

The challenge...

I am trying to make a mixing element programmatically.  When complete it will look something like this:

Mixing Element.jpg

The trouble I am having is with the .AddLoftedProtrusion command.  I am getting a type mismatch error.  I believe that it is probably the crosssection argument (or it could be the Origins argument which is looking for Double - but I doubt that is the problem, I think I have it right) that is of the wrong type, but I as of yet haven't figured out what it actually is looking for.  I am working from CurvesByTables (which you can see in the attached part as well as the code below).  There are only 2 options for cross section (Profile or Edge based).  I originally tried passing the curvebytable objects to the lofted protrusion command - no joy.  I used the Spy tool which I learned of at the last SEU to figure out how to get the edges out of the curvesbytable objects.  Still no luck.  In the code below you may note that I am connecting to a PTC Mathcad Prime 3.1 worksheet to get some information (which was a very painful experience interfacing with since they charge $9k for the SDK - really, who would pay that for simple examples that should be included in proper documentation).  That worksheet also provides the Excel worksheets for the curves.  Unfortunately, I cannot share that with you.  Here is the code and a snapshot of Spy at a breakpoint just prior to attempting the loft command (which also corresponds with the attached part):

loft.jpg

using System;
using System.Diagnostics;
using System.Collections.Generic;
using System.ComponentModel;
using System.Data;
using System.Drawing;
using System.Linq;
using System.Text;
using System.Threading.Tasks;
using System.Windows.Forms;
using Ptc.MathcadPrime.Automation;
using SolidEdgeCommunity.Extensions;
using SolidEdgePart;

namespace MathcadPrimeC
{
public partial class Form1 : Form
{
Ptc.MathcadPrime.Automation.ApplicationCreatorClass MCappCreate = new ApplicationCreatorClass();
ApplicationCreator MCapp = null;

SolidEdgeFramework.Application SEapp = null;
SolidEdgeFramework.Documents SEdocuments = null;
SolidEdgePart.PartDocument SEpartDocument = null;

double[,] dblODcurves = new double[4, 3];
double[,] dblrootcurves = new double[4, 3];

public Form1()
{
InitializeComponent();
Mathcad();
}

private void button1_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)
{

SolidEdge();

}

public void Mathcad()
{
var MCapp = (ApplicationCreator)MCappCreate; // Open Mathcad
MCapp.Visible = true;

//Open Parameters Worksheet
IMathcadPrimeWorksheet3 wsParam = (IMathcadPrimeWorksheet3)MCapp.Open(@"S:\ENGINEER\mathcad\Secret\Basic Secret Parameters.mcdx");

//Get List of Machine Sizes and populate checkedlistBox
IMathcadPrimeOutputMatrixResultAs BoreResult = wsParam.OutputGetMatrixValueAs("Bore", "mm");
double wsBoreResultRowsCount = BoreResult.MatrixResult.Rows;
double dblBore;
List<string> BoreList = new List<string>();

for (int i = 0; i < wsBoreResultRowsCount; i++)
{
BoreResult.MatrixResult.GetMatrixElement(i, 0, out dblBore);
BoreList.Add(Convert.ToString(dblBore));
}
BindingSource BoreBindingSource = new BindingSource();
BoreBindingSource.DataSource = BoreList;
checkedListBore.DataSource = BoreBindingSource.DataSource;

//Get Matchcad output for D_od, D_root, Ax_pitch
IMathcadPrimeOutputMatrixResultAs DodResult = wsParam.OutputGetMatrixValueAs("D_od", "mm");
IMathcadPrimeOutputMatrixResultAs DrootResult = wsParam.OutputGetMatrixValueAs("D_root", "mm");
IMathcadPrimeOutputMatrixResultAs AxpitchResult = wsParam.OutputGetMatrixValueAs("Ax_pitch", "mm");

//Open OD Curves Worksheet
IMathcadPrimeWorksheet3 wsODcurves = (IMathcadPrimeWorksheet3)MCapp.Open(@"S:\ENGINEER\mathcad\Secret\Secret OD Flight Curves Tight Clearance 60.mcdx");
//Get Matchcad output for od_intersections
IMathcadPrimeOutputMatrixResult ODcurvesResult = wsODcurves.OutputGetMatrixValue("od_intersections");
//Open OD Curves Worksheet
IMathcadPrimeWorksheet3 wsRootcurves = (IMathcadPrimeWorksheet3)MCapp.Open(@"S:\ENGINEER\mathcad\Secret\Secret Root Flight Curves Tight Clearance 60.mcdx");
//Get Matchcad output for od_intersections
IMathcadPrimeOutputMatrixResult RootcurvesResult = wsRootcurves.OutputGetMatrixValue("root_intersections");

//Tight Clearance Root curves
for (int row = 0; row <= 3; row++)
{
for (int col = 0; col <= 2; col++)
{
double x;
RootcurvesResult.MatrixResult.GetMatrixElement(row, col, out x);
dblrootcurves[row, col] = x/1000; //divide by 1000 to change from mm to meters
}
}

//Tight Clearance OD curves
for (int row = 0; row <= 3; row++)
{
for (int col = 0; col <= 2; col++)
{
double x;
ODcurvesResult.MatrixResult.GetMatrixElement(row, col, out x);
dblODcurves[row, col] = x / 1000; //divide by 1000 to change from mm to meters
}
}

//IMathcadPrimeOutputs wsParamOutputs = wsParam.Outputs;

//for (int i = 0; i <= wsParamOutputs.Count - 1; i++)
//{
// var wsAlias = wsParamOutputs.GetAliasByIndex(i);
// var wsResult = wsParam.OutputGetMatrixValueAs(wsAlias,"mm");

// double Output;
// wsResult.MatrixResult.GetMatrixElement(i, 0, out Output);

//}
}

public void SolidEdge()
{
try
{
// Register with OLE to handle concurrency issues on the current thread.
SolidEdgeCommunity.OleMessageFilter.Register();

// Connect to or start Solid Edge.
var SEapp = SolidEdgeCommunity.SolidEdgeUtils.Connect(true, true);

// Get a reference to the documents collection.
var SEdocuments = SEapp.Documents;

// Create a new part document using PROGID.
//partDocument = (SolidEdgePart.PartDocument)documents.Add("SolidEdge.PartDocument");

// Create a new part document using PROGID defined in Interop.SolidEdge.dll.
//partDocument = (SolidEdgePart.PartDocument)documents.Add(SolidEdgeSDK.PROGID.SolidEdge_PartDocument);

// Create a new part document using SolidEdge.Community.dll extension method.
var SEpartDocument = SEdocuments.AddPartDocument();

// Create a new part document using SolidEdge.Community.dll extension method.
//partDocument = documents.Add<SolidEdgePart.PartDocument>();

// Always a good idea to give SE a chance to breathe.
SEapp.DoIdle();

SEpartDocument.ModelingMode = ModelingModeConstants.seModelingModeSynchronous;

Constructions SEConstructions = null;

SEConstructions = SEpartDocument.Constructions;

var curvesbytables = SEConstructions.CurvesByTables;
curvesbytables.Add(@"S:\ENGINEER\mathcad\Secret\Flight Geometry\Root-Tight-60-Curve1.xlsx");
curvesbytables.Add(@"S:\ENGINEER\mathcad\Secret\Flight Geometry\Root-Tight-60-Curve2.xlsx");
curvesbytables.Add(@"S:\ENGINEER\mathcad\Secret\Flight Geometry\Root-Tight-60-Curve3.xlsx");
curvesbytables.Add(@"S:\ENGINEER\mathcad\Secret\Flight Geometry\Root-Tight-60-Curve4.xlsx");
curvesbytables.Add(@"S:\ENGINEER\mathcad\Secret\Flight Geometry\OD-Tight-60-Curve1.xlsx");
curvesbytables.Add(@"S:\ENGINEER\mathcad\Secret\Flight Geometry\OD-Tight-60-Curve2.xlsx");
//Next 2 used for tight clearance only
curvesbytables.Add(@"S:\ENGINEER\mathcad\Secret\Flight Geometry\OD-Tight-60-Curve3.xlsx");
curvesbytables.Add(@"S:\ENGINEER\mathcad\Secret\Flight Geometry\OD-Tight-60-Curve4.xlsx");
curvesbytables.Add(@"S:\ENGINEER\mathcad\Secret\Flight Geometry\Guide-Tight-60-Curve1.xlsx");
curvesbytables.Add(@"S:\ENGINEER\mathcad\Secret\Flight Geometry\Guide-Tight-60-Curve2.xlsx");
curvesbytables.Add(@"S:\ENGINEER\mathcad\Secret\Flight Geometry\Guide-Tight-60-Curve3.xlsx");
curvesbytables.Add(@"S:\ENGINEER\mathcad\Secret\Flight Geometry\Guide-Tight-60-Curve4.xlsx");

object[] edgecollection = new object[12];

for (int i = 1; i <= 12; i++)
{
ConstructionModel model = SEConstructions.Item(i);
SolidEdgeGeometry.Body body = (SolidEdgeGeometry.Body)model.Body;
SolidEdgeGeometry.Vertices verts = (SolidEdgeGeometry.Vertices)body.Vertices;
SolidEdgeGeometry.Vertex vert = (SolidEdgeGeometry.Vertex)verts.Item(1);
SolidEdgeGeometry.Edges edges = (SolidEdgeGeometry.Edges)vert.Edges;
SolidEdgeGeometry.Edge edge = (SolidEdgeGeometry.Edge)edges.Item(1);
edgecollection[i-1] = edge;
}

object[] rootloop = { edgecollection[0], edgecollection[1], edgecollection[2], edgecollection[3] };
object[] odloop = { edgecollection[4], edgecollection[5], edgecollection[6], edgecollection[7] };
object[] crosssections = { rootloop, odloop };
object[] guideedges = { edgecollection[9], edgecollection[9], edgecollection[10], edgecollection[11] };

object[,] intersections = new object[2, 3] { { dblrootcurves[0, 0], dblrootcurves[0, 1], dblrootcurves[0, 2] }, { dblODcurves[0, 0], dblODcurves[0, 1], dblODcurves[0, 2] } };

FeaturePropertyConstants[] crosssectiontype = { FeaturePropertyConstants.igEdgeBasedCrossSection, FeaturePropertyConstants.igEdgeBasedCrossSection };
Model SEmodel = null;
SEmodel = SEpartDocument.Models.AddLoftedProtrusion(NumSections: 2, CrossSections: crosssections, CrossSectionTypes: crosssectiontype,
Origins: intersections, SegmentMaps: 0, MaterialSide: FeaturePropertyConstants.igLeft, StartExtentType: FeaturePropertyConstants.igLeft,
StartExtentDistance: 0, StartSurfaceOrRefPlane: null, EndExtentType: FeaturePropertyConstants.igNone, EndExtentDistance: 0,
EndSurfaceOrRefPlane: null, StartTangentType: FeaturePropertyConstants.igNone, StartTangentMagnitude: 0,
EndTangentType: FeaturePropertyConstants.igNone, EndTangentMagnitude: 0); //, NumGuideCurves: 4, GuideCurves: guideedges);

}
catch (System.Exception ex)
{
Console.WriteLine(ex.Message);
}
finally
{
SolidEdgeCommunity.OleMessageFilter.Unregister();
}

}

}

}

3 REPLIES

Re: Need Help with Edge Based Lofted Profile via API

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

First of all let me say, that I never created a LoftedProtrusion programmatically and I also tried to create one based on your part document, but without success.

I have created LoftedSurfaces successfully in the past and would like to share some information on that which might help:

1) Like you already know, there are two types of LoftedProtrusions/-Surfaces: ProfileBased and EdgeBased

2) The way how you prepare the arguments for the AddLoftedProtrusion method depends on the type of Protrusion (see the following table):

ProfileBased                           EdgeBased

CrossSections (Array of):       Profile                                     Edge / Edges

SectionTypes (Array of):        igProfileBasedCrossSection    igEdgeBasedCrossSection

Origins (Array of):                  Double(2)                              Vertex

As you are creating a protrusion with a closed loop of edges, you will need to create an Edges collection from your set of input edges first. In case of a circular edge, you would use a single circular Edge as the cross section!!

Dim objCollection As Edges = objBody.CreateCollection(seEdgeCollection)
objCollection.Add(objEdge)

You may use the body of the first edge here.

3) Use the StartVertex of your first edge as the Origin of each cross section

I hope this helps you to get the protrusion done. The best I could get during my tests was a failed Protrusion feature (in Ordered Mode, Sync gave me more problems) saying that there was an invalid cross section defined.

Experimenter
Experimenter

Thank you Martin,

It was good to know that it was looking for Vertex instead of Double for Origin.  I still was not able to get it working.  I ended up switching direction since it is so difficult to troubleshoot a command with so many arguments.  I am now trying (and failing) to use surfaces and stitch them together to get the solid.  I started by adding this code to the code I previously posted:

SurfaceByBoundaries seSurfByBoundaries = null;
SurfaceByBoundary surface_1 = null;
SurfaceByBoundary surface_2 = null;

seSurfByBoundaries = SEConstructions.SurfaceByBoundaries;
surface_1 = seSurfByBoundaries.Add(4, rootloop);
surface_2 = seSurfByBoundaries.Add(4, odloop);

I get the following error when it gets to the second surface:

Unspecified error (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80004005 (E_FAIL))

If I comment out surface_1 it makes surface_2 just fine.

Spy shows this:

surface trouble.jpg

I am not sure why it shows different parents for the 2 surfaces (1 is ConstructionModel and 1 is PartDocument).

Any hints would be great!

Experimenter
Experimenter
I moved to Ordered instead of Synchronous and it worked with no error...Hmmm