Open/Save & New Custom Property

[ Edited ]

Now theres a good chance this question has been answered somewhere, so Im sorry in advance if thats the case. I just added a new custom property. If I go to an exsiting draft file, and edit the BOM to add the new columb, its not there. So I open the part and save it and return to the draft and once again edit the BOM and the I can then see and add the new columb. We have as of today 30,901 SE files, that includes .dft files. And I would like to be able to have this columb exist so I can run a program to fill in the field.

So will I need to do something like open/checkout then save/close/checkin on every file so that I can have this program see the field and fill it in. Just to let everyone know, we do use insight, and are on SEV15, and because we are using insight, we have our prerelease directory mapped out as a web folder. Although after doing this, I tried to run the opensave macro that comes with SE and I was unable to select my newly created web folder. Which raises another question, does opensave macro checkout, save, close, and checkin? And once this macro is run, will every file then be out of date due to this??

So whatever way I come to making this new field show up in every file to be able to be filled in, will I be able to fill in this field to every file, without checking out and checking in every file, and would'nt this also throw every file out of date, creating some 15,000 some .dfts out of date??

Posted by: Chris Estelle
Post date: 11/17/2005 10:56:10 AM

1 REPLY

RE: Open/Save & New Custom Property

[ Edited ]

Chris,

This is a very complicated proposition as I'm sure you're aware. Insight makes it really complicated as the files are stored in the SQL database and not on a file system.

There is a way to extract files directly from the SQL database, manipulate them and re-upload them back. I would strongly suggest against it though because if you make a mistake, it's going to be really bad.

So that leaves you basically with using Revision Manager API . Greg Chasteen offered many examples at this years Summit for using the RM API. I also demo'd the File Property API.

It would be a big project, but I think it would be possible to check out the files via RM API, add your custom property via File Property API, check back in the changed file via RM API. And yes, it would throw all of your drawings out of date.

That's about all I can offer. Good luck!

Posted by: Jason Newell
Post date: 11/18/2005 5:20:20 AM