Orient camera based on part/occurrence coord system

Hi!

I am starting to build a head ache around getting controlled view of a model based on a coordinate system within a part (occurrence) in an assembly.

What I thought would have been trivial has turned out quite the opposite: how to get proper assembly-model space coordinates of an occurrence coordinate system to be able to apply it's orientation/origin for camera view.

The idea is to have part(s) have their own "view" coordinate systems in-place and properly aligned so that the camera could then just be turned towards them, however it seems that all coordinate system related methods / axis retrievals return values based on that part's 3D world and not the assembly's.

Is there any other way than manually starting to calculate the occurrence matrixes and apply those to that space..?

Heck getting the Solid Edge / object model to aid on those matrix calculations would even be a great start.

Best regards,

Kalle

Posted by: Kalle Launiala
Post date: 10/5/2009 12:20:13 PM

1 REPLY

RE: Orient camera based on part/occurrence coord system

Kalle,

I'm not sure if you've heard of or seen an Spatial Freedom Astroid before, but I worked on that product when it was integrated into Solid Edge.  We dealt with the same issues but were able to overcome most if not all.  I'm not at liberty to discuss what I learned on that project due to NDA and I don't remember most of it now as it's been several years.  You might try contacting Spatial Freedom on their site and see if they'd be willing to help you out.

Posted by: Jason Newell
Post date: 10/22/2009 2:21:54 PM