Part QTY in Draft

Creator
Creator

First let me say that this forum has been a life saver… after starting a new job using SE, I never dreamed it would be so different than all the other 3D softwares out there… I have always said “3D software is 3D software” boy, was I wrong… So thanks to all the contributors here!

My Issue:

We do a very basic style of Production Drawings consisting of one main assembly, occasional sub-assembly and individual piece-part drawings… don’t want to get into the reasons why we do somne of the things we do, because I cant answer those questions lol… im just trying to make an archaic method more efficient. I will do my best to explain our process and what im looking for so bare with me….

On our assembly we put the total quantity to be produced, of the assembly, in the title block… our “bom” is a basic parts list, only referencing the quantities req for 1 assembly and the part number (also the dwg no.)

On our dtl drawings, we detail EACH individual piece… and in the title block reference the qty of the entire project… example: if the assembly req 4 of a certain part, and there are 25 assemblies req to complete the project, then the qty for that drawing would be 100… yeah.. you know because only we, designers, can do basic math.

I have everything else coming though in lists and such from the “propseed” file and property callouts, but have not found a way to efficiently do the qty’s. So I have to do like others here do it, and cop/paste from one drawing to the next then go back and edit the qty... which isn’t so bad on small assemblies, but when you have 100+ parts in an assembly, it takes forever…

What Im Looking For:

If I were using Inventor, software I was “raised on”, I could have a Property Text in the Title Block that would recognize a part when it is placed on the dwg (if its the only part) and reference the parts qty in the assembly then formulato multiply by the total quantity of assmeblies as designated in the Custom Property "QTY", so that when you placed a “dependent” view of a part on the page, it would recognize it and update the QTY, simular to how SE will update the Sheets "Scale" to match the first placed view on the sheet. However, I cant figure out a way to do this in SE, if there is a way… Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

3 REPLIES

Re: Part QTY in Draft

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

When placing the part on the drawing, how would your "code" in the draft know what assemblies the part was used in and and from what assemblies in that set you wanted the total part count from?

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP1

Creator
Creator

KennyG wrote:

When placing the part on the drawing, how would your "code" in the draft know what assemblies the part was used in and and from what assemblies in that set you wanted the total part count from?

Because its part of a drawing package and every view is a "dependant view" of the assembly?  

There would only be one Master Assembly per package and i cant image SE not being ble to keep track of a part from sub-assemblies in the master assembly 

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

So one drawing file with all parts/subs/master documented within...  That would certainly provide the link to the assembly context but there is no "out of the box" mechanism to get that count for the entire assembly nor an automatic way to grab the part information placed on an individual sheet with property text as the only auto option is "indexed reference" and that changes per the number of drawing views placed in the entire drawing file and in what order they were placed.

Unfortunately I don't think there is a way to do this without automation. You could develop an add-in that runs automatically to do this or you could just use a macro but would have to remember to run it for any changes that ocurred.

I was hoping that Parts List would at least give you totals as there appears to be an option to multiply counts based on sub occurences, but it has to be the same sub, not different subs with the same part used in them.

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP1