Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Programatically Find and Replace through multiple assemblies

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Good morning.

This is more of a 'Is it possible' type of question. 

My apologies if this has been asked of in the past, but I did checked through the programming forum to see if this or a similar question has been asked, but could not see anything relevant

I am project managing an ERP implementation in an engineering company, and mid-way through the project the company has merged with another engineering company.

Both companies use SE and have thousands of drawings. Obviously where one has a merger of data we need to look at consolidation. As the companies are in a similar line of business there are going to be many hundreds if not thousands of (purchased) components that are (physically) the same - even if the item code that identifies them in their respective companies is different.

Now consolidating the two item codes into a single code in the ERP solution is not an issue. The problem is with replacing an item code in hundreds/thousands of SE drawings.

So my question is: Is it programatically possible to do a 'Find and Replace' so that I can replace every instance of an item code in every drawing with my new item code, whilst also ensuring that every parent of those drawings where a change takes place is up-revised, and every parent of the parents is up-revised etc. up the tree.

A final 'Is it possible' question. Can the parent assembly revision number be restricted when up-revising.

e.g If I do a find and replace by component and up-revise each assembly when an item code has been replaced, then the top level parent could be up-revised many hundreds of times by the time I had completed all the individual replacements. Would it be possible to do this in 'batch' such that I could run the conversion for (say) 1000 components, and then up-revise all relevant parents just the once.

Thanks for any help you may be able to offer.

Michael

Posted by: Michael Talati
Post date: 11/19/2009 11:45:52 PM

4 REPLIES

RE: Programatically Find and Replace through multiple assemblies

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Michael,

It is possible to do all that you ask for.

Probably, the most complex thing is to do the up-revising.

If the number of files is high, just finding "where used" is slow, and you should be doing that a lot of times, because you want to propagate revisions.

It's not easy to do an effective application for this but it could be done, maybe storing links in a database before processing files to avoid searches.

I would recommend you to hire the services of a professional guy, like Jason.

HTH,

Julian

Posted by: Julian Guillo
Post date: 11/23/2009 8:58:47 PM

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Julian, thanks for your email response.

Michael

Post date: 11/23/2009 11:01:09 PM

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I have extensive experience of tackling this kind of requirement. I would be hapy to provide a quotation for this project. My email address is davidrothan@sysrq.co.uk

Posted by: Dave Rothan
Post date: 11/24/2009 1:16:57 AM

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

David thank you. I have made a note of your details, and may contact you when I have more concrete information.

Michael

Post date: 11/24/2009 2:45:44 AM