Programatically Find and Replace through multiple assemblies

[ Edited ]

Good morning.

This is more of a 'Is it possible' type of question. 

My apologies if this has been asked of in the past, but I did checked through the programming forum to see if this or a similar question has been asked, but could not see anything relevant

I am project managing an ERP implementation in an engineering company, and mid-way through the project the company has merged with another engineering company.

Both companies use SE and have thousands of drawings. Obviously where one has a merger of data we need to look at consolidation. As the companies are in a similar line of business there are going to be many hundreds if not thousands of (purchased) components that are (physically) the same - even if the item code that identifies them in their respective companies is different.

Now consolidating the two item codes into a single code in the ERP solution is not an issue. The problem is with replacing an item code in hundreds/thousands of SE drawings.

So my question is: Is it programatically possible to do a 'Find and Replace' so that I can replace every instance of an item code in every drawing with my new item code, whilst also ensuring that every parent of those drawings where a change takes place is up-revised, and every parent of the parents is up-revised etc. up the tree.

A final 'Is it possible' question. Can the parent assembly revision number be restricted when up-revising.

e.g If I do a find and replace by component and up-revise each assembly when an item code has been replaced, then the top level parent could be up-revised many hundreds of times by the time I had completed all the individual replacements. Would it be possible to do this in 'batch' such that I could run the conversion for (say) 1000 components, and then up-revise all relevant parents just the once.

Thanks for any help you may be able to offer.

Michael

Posted by: Michael Talati
Post date: 11/19/2009 11:45:52 PM

4 REPLIES

RE: Programatically Find and Replace through multiple assemblies

[ Edited ]

Michael,

It is possible to do all that you ask for.

Probably, the most complex thing is to do the up-revising.

If the number of files is high, just finding "where used" is slow, and you should be doing that a lot of times, because you want to propagate revisions.

It's not easy to do an effective application for this but it could be done, maybe storing links in a database before processing files to avoid searches.

I would recommend you to hire the services of a professional guy, like Jason.

HTH,

Julian

Posted by: Julian Guillo
Post date: 11/23/2009 8:58:47 PM

[ Edited ]

Julian, thanks for your email response.

Michael

Post date: 11/23/2009 11:01:09 PM

[ Edited ]

I have extensive experience of tackling this kind of requirement. I would be hapy to provide a quotation for this project. My email address is davidrothan@sysrq.co.uk

Posted by: Dave Rothan
Post date: 11/24/2009 1:16:57 AM

[ Edited ]

David thank you. I have made a note of your details, and may contact you when I have more concrete information.

Michael

Post date: 11/24/2009 2:45:44 AM