Project Ideas

How about we tell each other what we're currently working on?

I'm working on an add-in for my company that allows designers to search for a Screw, Bolt, Nut, or Washer and add the part to Solid Edge. There are other features to this program and it grows everyday.

An important part of my program is the Admin side. This has to be run in order for the user to search. When the Run button on the Admin form is clicked, it walks through the directory of created parts, one at a time, and saves the filename and file properties (Title) into an Access database. We have around 290 parts so it takes about 20 seconds for this program to finish. When the directory is update with a new part, I run the Admin side. Now that I have all the filenames and properties, it will be easier for the user to search.

The search form allows a user to select a Screw, Nut, Bolt, or Washer from a combo box. When the combo box is selected, the program loads keywords that are associated with the part. For example a Screw. The program loads words in a combo box called Modifiers which are like this... Cap, Socket, Button...etc. Another combo box is loaded with Hex Head, Button Head, Round Head, etc... and the last combo box has sizes, .250 - 20, .500 - 13... etc. The user can select any of these at any time and the program searchs the database of file names and properties for the selected keywords and lists them in the list boxes. The user can then select a part in the listbox. The program will display a preview of the part on screen. The user can click Add Part and the part will be added directly into a Solid Edge Assembly.

The program also saves the five recently added parts into a combo box to allow the user to refer back to a part that was added earlier.

That's about it for now. I would like to hear what other people are doing. I just started using Solid Edge, so I don't really know much. I would like to hear some ideas...

Posted by: Mike Anderson
Post date: 7/7/2005 5:53:15 AM

8 REPLIES

RE: Project Ideas

Mark,

We recently implemented SAP at my company. We've had an addin for Solid Edge for years now that pulled data from a system that was replaced by SAP. So I would imagine that I'm going to rewrite the addin to pull the data from SAP. Not a very trivial task as I soon found out. SAP offers a product called SAP .NET connector that is integrated to VS.NET that will help build the code to connect and pull data from SAP.

Posted by: Jason Newell
Post date: 7/10/2005 8:23:36 AM

I seem to be stuck dealing with SharePoint a lot at the moment... I have just finished a search WebPart with a lot of client-side java and a VB6 Active-X to integrate it with SE (placing parts in assemblies etc...).

I also seem to end up doing a lot of event handlers, very easy to write but quite handy tools for writing properties, controling versions etc...

I would like to do a bit more directly with SE, but at the moment it would have to be in my spare time, which I don't have too much of...

Mike: Have you automated the admin side of your program or do you have to run it manually?

Posted by: Calum McLellan
Post date: 7/13/2005 6:20:24 PM

I was hoping to have this run everytime the directory of Standard Parts was updated. I was using the FindFirstChangeNotification API and it worked ok. For some reason I could not get it to run a second time so I stopped playing around with it and now I just do it manually everytime it's updated. I was thinking about going back to something like that when I had time but since I don't have alot of experience in it, I figured I can get more work done then trying to learn how to do it like that. Do you have any suggestions on what I should do and how to do it?

Post date: 7/14/2005 2:02:49 AM

Hi Mike,

Try using the System.IO.FileSystemWatcher Class. There was a problem with the Class where to many Events would be fired - not sure if it's still there but you might want to keep your own record of Events in code and build in a delayed reaction so things don't get done to often...

Let me know if you run into problems, but from memory everything was pretty straight foward.

Oh - and if your still using VB6 this might be a good time to switch. Smiley Wink

Cheers

Calum

Post date: 7/14/2005 7:56:54 PM

Actually I've been thinking about switching. For the past couple of days I've been thinking of changing this program into VB.NET but I would have to do it on my own time so I don't take up time here at work...

Post date: 7/15/2005 12:14:26 AM

Hi Mike,

you could just write the Tracking component in .NET and start the other process with some command-line args...

Just a thought

Cheers

Calum

Post date: 7/15/2005 12:50:29 AM

yeah good idea. Do you know anything about creating PartsLists in vb for Draft Files???

Post date: 7/15/2005 2:00:22 AM

I'm working on a web based product configurator program. The program will help our distributors and customers select a product based on their application and also create 3D/2D images of the product in real time. Goes without saying that i'm using SE in the loop as far as the CAD part is concerned and a 3rd party publisher (IPA web publisher) to be able to embed the CAD images in a web page. This program eliminates the need to have our application engineers interface with sales teams as far as standard product offerings are concerned. at the moment, i'm working on ways to have assemble-to-order and made-to-order products integrated into the program.

In the future, i anticipate working on a load balacing program to share the load between multiple websites/servers so that SE and IPA are optimized fully. Its going to be a real hard task, but I guess nothing comes easy...

I started off from the scratch with no idea of .NET or SE for that matter. But a fair amount of help from Jason and Calum got me going. Thanks to you fellas, its been a fantastic journey so far!!

Posted by: siddharth balaravi
Post date: 12/18/2006 9:54:25 PM