Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Properties Change Affecting Microsoft Excel function

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

We have log sheets that look into SolidEdge file properties to populate an Excel spreadsheet with those properties.  Since we have switched to SolidEdge 2019 they no longer update.  The debugger catches on the Solid Edge properties.  Did the label for the properties we need to reference change with the new version?  I apologize for my limited knowledge. 

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Properties Change Affecting Microsoft Excel function

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

@nbott,

Solid Edge 2019 doesn't contain anymore 32-Bit DLLs like propauto.dll. You most probably are using Excel 32-Bit.

Kind regards,
Wolfgang Kunert - www.wksyspro.de

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Short term:  install Solid Edge View & Markup to get access to the 32-bit dll files.

Long term:  update your custom code to support 64-bit as View & Markup is going away.

All documented in the Solid Edge readme file.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I am running 64-bit (I am including a screen shot to verify).  Any other suggestions; possibly different options to select?

Highlighted

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

@nbott ,   As @wku and @uk_dave mention...  this is NOT an issue with your MS Office install 32/64 bit.   This issue is that the Solid Edge 32bit library is no longer supported. 

@uk_dave gave the short term solution and the long term fix...  

Matt Johnson
Solid Edge Certified Professional
Solid Edge 2019 (SEEC) - Production
NX12 (Tc Integration)
Teamcenter 10.1.7

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Longer answer so you may understand better...

Your existing code is built using Solid Edge 32-bit libraries.

Starting with SE2019 we no longer deliver 32-bit dll files.

Therefore your existing code will no longer run.

However, we still provide 32-bit dll files with SE2019 View & Markup.

Therefore if you install SE2019 View & Markup on your workstation along with Solid Edge your existing code will then work again.

However, that is a short-term solution as View & Markup is end of life.

Going forwards you need to recompile your existing code to use the Solid Edge 64-bit libraries.

Again, all documented in the SE2019 readme file.

Solution Partner Phenom

@nbott 

in this similar post https://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/Solid-Edge-Developer-Forum/VBA-with-Excel-CreateObje... my advice was to renew the COM reference in the 64-bit Excel VBA project and use New instead of CreateObject. The latter seems already to be done in your screen shot of the VBA program.

But I also see that your VBA code is using the former FileSystemObject component, which is definitely an old 32-bit VB6 component used by 32-bit VB6 and VBA. So I doubt you ever will be able to get your VBA code get running with 64-bit COM objects, even if you have Excel 64-bit installed.

Kind regards,

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
So IT loaded SE2019 View and Markup, but still getting the same sticking point. Do they need to do anything else (except correct the code for the new information) to make the View and Markup fix work?

Solution Partner Phenom
Are you sure nobody had changed the VBA code to use New instead of CreateObject to get an instance of the SolidEdgeFileProperties object.
Now with the 32 bit component installed I would change the code back to its earlier state.
Kind regards,