Question

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Why hasn't Solid Edge put out a good programming book instead of just the Programming Guides?

Posted by: Mike Anderson
Post date: 7/11/2005 4:28:02 AM

5 REPLIES

RE: Question

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Mike,

Good question & potentially a sore subject. The answer I'm fixing to give is soely my opinion.

Have you noticed that every other CAD vendor is light years ahead of Solid Edge regarding developer support? Why do we think that is?

It seems to me that UGS flat out refuses to dedicate 1 or 2 people to developing the developer community. They are overly focused on the core product, Solid Edge. What they don't realize it seems is that if they would grow their developer community, it could actually help them sell the core product.

Simply put, I feel that UGS does not consider the developer community "profitable". Just another part of why they come in 2nd to SW.

Posted by: Jason Newell
Post date: 7/11/2005 4:41:41 AM

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I'm a complete beginner to Solid Edge. I haven't even really used Solid Edge until this week where I was trying to create a bolt to learn more about how to write a program that created the bolt for me. I've been programming Solid Edge for about 2 months but I only use a few things and since I don't really know Solid Edge, I don't know what programs I can write. So, I try to ask the designers what they need but it seems like they're not too interested in other things that what I'm doing right now. I feel like I should learn Solid Edge but I also want to learn as much as I can about programming Solid Edge. But it seems as though I would have to learn everything by playing around with different things since there isn't a book to give me ideas. How did you learn programming for Solid Edge? Was it more messing around with code for certain projects?

Posted by: Mike Anderson
Post date: 7/11/2005 4:51:43 AM

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Mike,

I started programming SE by messin around with code. There would be needs come up and I would see if I could automate them.

There are some SE provided samples that come with the install if you haven't seen them yet: C:\Program Files\Solid Edge V16\Custom and C:\Program Files\Solid Edge V16\SDK\Samples.

Hanging around the SE forums helps too. You can see what the veteran guys are talking about.

I would recommend that you download Solid Edge Programmers Guide and print it out.

Post date: 7/11/2005 5:12:16 AM

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

The Solid Edge programming guide is OK but it would be nice if there was some support for .Net. I've been programming SE with VB for a couple of years now but with Microsoft weening out VB I've been programming any new projects with VB.Net. Although there are some similarities and I can usually figure things out it would be nice if there was a .Net version of the programmers guide.

Posted by: sean tormey
Post date: 7/12/2005 9:20:30 AM

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Sean,

I totally agree. That was one of my biggest frustrations when I was trying to learn .NET programming for Solid Edge. I've done all I know to do regarding this. I've posted this issue in the newsgroups and I've talked to UGS people. I got the feeling that they were not commited to updating the documentation. This is obvious because it doesn't get updated very often and when it does, the examples stink. There is just not enough information.

Hence this website. I figured I had knowledge that would save people time. I saw a huge opportunity and I jumped at it. We'll see how it goes .

Post date: 7/12/2005 12:27:17 PM