RPC_E_SERVERFAULT opening a file in SE from VBA

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello,

I donot know farther, have searched everywhere and I hope to find help here.

I have written a programm in VB.net where one function is to open files in SE from a list. SE is to be opened during start up of the programm. The Start up works in our company (15 CAD-workstations) at all 15 work stations, but the opening of the files works only at 8 work stations. The other have this Com-Exeption:

System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80010105): Ausnahmefehler des Servers. (Ausnahme von HRESULT: 0x80010105 (RPC_E_SERVERFAULT))

bei System.RuntimeType.ForwardCallToInvokeMember(String memberName, BindingFlags flags, Object target, Int32[] aWrapperTypes, MessageData& msgData)

bei SolidEdgeFramework.Documents.Open(String Filename, Object DocRelationAutoServer, Object AltPath, Object RecognizeFeaturesIfPartTemplate, Object RevisionRuleOption, Object StopFileOpenIfRevisionRuleNotApplicable)

bei InspectionRecord.FH.open_SE_file(Object Afilename)

I have compared the installed programs and versions and find no hint, what the problem could be. I hope, someone has an idea.

Posted by: Andreas Baumann
Post date: 10/23/2013 8:52:11 AM

7 REPLIES

Re: RPC_E_SERVERFAULT opening a file in SE from VBA

PLM World Member Experimenter PLM World Member Experimenter
PLM World Member Experimenter

Without seeing more code and knowing whether the program is running in-process or out-of-process, assuming out of process since it is talking about connecting to Solid Edge at the beginning.  One of the big things discussed at this year's Solid Edge Univeristy's Developer Day was the use of a seperate AppDomain for making your COM calls for Solid Edge.

I have started to do this with an application where I had some issues with RPC faults and especially with timing of when COM objects would actually be released and be able to be called again.  After adding the AppDomain and setting my Solid Edge COM call to a seperate AppDomain and thread alot of my issues have gone away.  This may be something to try at least to see if it will help if nothing else has previously.

Regards,

Nate

Thanks,
Nate Emler
Engineering Programmer
Ariel Corporation

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hello Nate,

You are reight, the programm is running out-of-process.

Thanks for your hint with the AppDomain.I have no experience using AppDomain, but all I have read, it seems not to be very difficult. I will this and post the result here.

Thanks

Andreas

PLM World Member Pioneer PLM World Member Pioneer
PLM World Member Pioneer

You can find an example of how to use AppDomain with Solid Edge on the Solid Edge samples on the Codeplex site found here: http://solidedgesamples.codeplex.com/

Nate Emler
Engineering Programmer
Ariel Corporation

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

Nate,

I'm glad to hear my separate AppDomain solution worked for you. I think that was the coolest thing I brought this year ;-)

Jason Newell
Applications Architect
www.jasonnewell.net

PLM World Member Pioneer PLM World Member Pioneer
PLM World Member Pioneer

Jason,

Actually the biggest area that it helped was outside of Solid Edge and with PDFCreator COM application I was calling.  It has made it behave so much nicer within my programs.  I appreciate your showing it to us during Developer Days.

Nate Emler
Engineering Programmer
Ariel Corporation

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

Andreas,

Nate is right. Take a look at my samples on CodePlex. Be sure you are using an OleMessageFilter like my samples. The links are to the C# source code but you can download the latest release which contains Visual Basic source as well.

Beyond that, we really need to see your source code when you're calling Documents.Open().

Jason Newell
Applications Architect
www.jasonnewell.net

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hello Jason and Nate,

thank you for your helpful replies. I took a longer look into the codeplex and the AppDomain. I start trying the AppDomain and the OleMessageFilter, which I have also not integrated, today and post the results here. If it doesn't work, I will post also the code.