Rearrange Relationships

Creator
Creator

I have an assembly where I'm placed a plate onto a subassembly.

The plate has a falt surface and two bolt holes, there are reciprocal holes in one of the components of the subassembly.

I'm trying to programatically swap the axial relationships on the holes so the plates can rotate 180° based on user input on a form.

I've been able to identify the relations and interrogate the appropriate relation3D objects, I can see Occurrances, GetGeometry and GetEntity but I can't see how I'm able to identify the references that would used to add an axial reference.

I say to add an axial refrence because the only solution I can see so far is to delete the current relationships and create new ones using the same references but in a different sequence.

Does anyone know how this can be done?

5 REPLIES

Re: Rearrange Relationships

Builder
Builder

I can think of a much simpler solution for that. If you simply wanna get a 180º rotation, you can just use a sketch or some geometry which suits your needs on both parts and replace your two axial alignment with a "central" alignment and an angular relation.

Simply changing the angle numerical value you can rotate the part. From my point of view has much abstract sense. You'll have to select a good center of rotation so your holes match for both positions. The best way would be to draw a sketch wich a circunference in which the diameter of that circunference would be a line connecting the center of both holes. with that circunference in both parts, you'll have a valid center of rotation.

Of course, this approach don't guarantee that the drills match, so you'll have to be careful when modeling bot parts. Maybe you can Reference Copy a part inside another to ensure that holes are at the same distance always; it depends of the complexity of your model...

As a note: I have deal into problems when using redundant matches, like two axial alignments for holes. Obviously, if those holes move their relative positions, SE will generate an error in the relationships. Unfortunately, SE is quite weak tracing errors, and not always will be clear were the mismatching is happening. It's easy that you end with dozens of parts showing red relationship and wondering what did you do wrong in your past life to deserve that...

Hope this helps!

Creator
Creator

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately I have to work with the assemblies as they are now so adding sketches or changing the 400 assemblies isn't viable. If I could I would follow something similar by generating planes between the holes and applying a relationship to those planes which could be flipped.

Creator
Creator

I did some extra work based on a post at http://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/Solid-Edge-Developer-Forum/Adding-planar-align-betwee...

The part I'm trying to rotate is what I call an adapter plate. Below is the code I have so far. It is incomplete, it just tries to repeat one of the axial relations but it fails at the point of adding the relation.

''' <summary>
    ''' Looks for an adapter plate in the assembly and then swaps the axial relations to rotate it
    ''' </summary>
    ''' <param name="objAdapterOccurrance">The occurrence of the adapter plate in the assembly</param>
    ''' <param name="objApplication">The Solid Edge application object that has the assembly open</param>
    ''' <param name="objAssembly">The assembly that holds the adapter plate</param>
    ''' <remarks></remarks>
    Private Sub RotateAdapter(ByVal objAdapterOccurrance As SolidEdgeAssembly.Occurrence, _
                              ByVal objApplication As SolidEdgeFramework.Application, _
                              ByVal objAssembly As SolidEdgeAssembly.AssemblyDocument)

'Declare the variables

'3D Relations, the assembly container and the two axial relations that will be swapped
        Dim objRels3D As SolidEdgeAssembly.Relations3d = Nothing
        Dim objAxialRel1 As SolidEdgeAssembly.AxialRelation3d = Nothing
        Dim objAxialRel2 As SolidEdgeAssembly.AxialRelation3d = Nothing

'The Reference objects, one for each reference of each axial relation and one
        'for the plate in the suboccurrence
        Dim objRef1 As SolidEdgeFramework.Reference = Nothing
        Dim objRef2 As SolidEdgeFramework.Reference = Nothing
        Dim objSubObjRef As SolidEdgeFramework.Reference = Nothing
        Dim objRef3 As SolidEdgeFramework.Reference = Nothing
        Dim objRef4 As SolidEdgeFramework.Reference = Nothing

'Occurrence objects
        Dim objAssyOcc As SolidEdgeAssembly.Occurrence = Nothing
        Dim objAssyOccDoc As SolidEdgeAssembly.AssemblyDocument = Nothing
        Dim objChildOcc As SolidEdgeAssembly.Occurrence = Nothing
        Dim objSubOccs As SolidEdgeAssembly.Occurrences = Nothing
        Dim objSubOcc As SolidEdgeAssembly.Occurrence = Nothing

'The feature variables
        Dim objFace1 As SolidEdgeGeometry.Face
        Dim objFace2 As SolidEdgeGeometry.Face
        Dim objFaces As SolidEdgeGeometry.Faces
        Dim objHoles As SolidEdgePart.Holes
        Dim objHole As SolidEdgePart.Hole

Try

'Collect the relationships in the adapter plate
            objRels3D = objAdapterOccurrance.Relations3d

'Collect the axial relationships
            For Each objRel3D In objRels3D
                Select Case objRel3D.type

'Skip non-axial relaions
                    Case SolidEdgeFramework.ObjectType.igAxialRelation3d

'Check to see if either of the occurrences is the mating assy
                        If CType(objRel3D, SolidEdgeAssembly.AxialRelation3d).Occurrence1. _
                                Name.Contains("MatingAssy") Or _
                            CType(objRel3D, SolidEdgeAssembly.AxialRelation3d).Occurrence2. _
                                Name.Contains("MatingAssy") Then

'There are two axial relations that meet to the same plate, on the first
                            'pass cast the axial relation to objAxialRel1 and on the second pass cast
                            'it to objAxialRel2. Suppress both relations each time to ensure they cause
                            'a conflict when trying to apply new relations
                            If objAxialRel1 Is Nothing Then
                                objAxialRel1 = objRel3D
                                objAxialRel1.Suppress = True
                            Else
                                objAxialRel2 = objRel3D
                                objAxialRel2.Suppress = True
                                Exit For
                            End If
                        End If
                End Select

Next

'Check to ensure we don't try and align two cylindrical faces on the same part
            If objAxialRel1.Occurrence1.Name = objAxialRel2.Occurrence1.Name Then

'Collect the holes face for the first occurrence of the first axial reference
                objHoles = objAxialRel1.Occurrence1.OccurrenceDocument.Models.Item(1).Holes
                objHole = objHoles.Item(1)
                objFaces = objHole.Faces(SolidEdgeGeometry.FeatureTopologyQueryTypeConstants.igQueryAll)
                objFace1 = objFaces.Item(1)

'Collect the holes face for the second occurrence of the first axial reference, which lies 
                'in the face of a part of the subassembly
                objAssyOcc = objAxialRel1.Occurrence2
                objAssyOccDoc = objAssyOcc.OccurrenceDocument
                objSubOccs = objAssyOccDoc.Occurrences
                For Each objSubOcc In objSubOccs
                    If objSubOcc.Name.Contains("MatingPart") Then
                        objChildOcc = objSubOcc
                        Exit For
                    End If
                Next

objHoles = objChildOcc.OccurrenceDocument.Models.Item(1).Holes
                objHole = objHoles.Item(1)
                objFaces = objHole.Faces(SolidEdgeGeometry.FeatureTopologyQueryTypeConstants.igQueryAll)
                objFace2 = objFaces.Item(1)

'Create the references. For the assembly we must create a reference for assembled part
                'and hole face and include this reference in the assembly reference
                objRef1 = objAssembly.CreateReference(objAxialRel1.Occurrence1, objFace1)
                objSubObjRef = objAssembly.CreateReference(objChildOcc, objFace2)
                objRef2 = objAssembly.CreateReference(objAxialRel1.Occurrence2, objSubObjRef)

'Add the axial reference
                objRels3D.AddAxial(objRef1, objRef2, False)
            Else

End If

Catch ex As Exception
            Console.WriteLine(ex.Message)
            MessageBox.Show(ex.Message)
        Finally

'Release all the COM objects
            If Not (objRels3D Is Nothing) Then
                Marshal.ReleaseComObject(objRels3D)
                objRels3D = Nothing
            End If

'Revoke the message filter
            MessageFilter.Revoke()

End Try

MessageBox.Show("Adapter Plate Rotated")

End Sub

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

The following code is exchanging the two axial relations by recreating them using the other topology of each:

Dim objAsmDoc As AssemblyDocument = objApp.ActiveDocument

' Find the two axial relations of the selected occurrence (must be toplevel occurrence in this code!)
Dim objAxialRel(1) As AxialRelation3d
Dim objSelOcc As Occurrence = objAsmDoc.SelectSet.Item(1)
objAsmDoc.SelectSet.RemoveAll()
Dim idx As Integer = 0
For Each objRel In objSelOcc.Relations3d
  Dim relType As ObjectType = objRel.GetType().InvokeMember("Type", Reflection.BindingFlags.GetProperty, Nothing, objRel, Nothing)
  If relType = ObjectType.igAxialRelation3d Then
    objAxialRel(idx) = objRel
    idx += 1
    If idx >= 2 Then Exit For
  End If
Next
If idx < 2 Then
  MessageBox.Show("The selected occurrence has less than 2 axial relations!")
  Exit Sub
End If

' Retrieve the axis of each relation
Dim axis1(1) As Object
Dim axis2(1) As Object
Dim isTopoRef As Boolean
For i As Integer = 0 To 1
  axis1(i) = objAxialRel(i).GetElement1(isTopoRef)
  axis2(i) = objAxialRel(i).GetElement2(isTopoRef)
Next

' Delete both relations
objAxialRel(0).Delete()
objAxialRel(1).Delete()

' Create new axial relations with the second element exchanged
objAsmDoc.Relations3d.AddAxial(axis1(0), axis2(1), True)
objAsmDoc.Relations3d.AddAxial(axis1(1), axis2(0), True)

Creator
Creator

Martin, you're a star, thank you very much Smiley Very Happy