Register the Addin in SolidEdge

[ Edited ]

Hi, 

I am curently started developing the Addin for Solid Edge, Previously I have experience in the Autodesk .. I beleive we have same process for this too .. 

However, I am still dono where i need to locate the my dll (library file ) in order for Solid Edge to recognize them as addins.

In the Autodesk I will locate the Addin in the following path 

%programdata%\Autodesk\ApplicationPlugins  .. so whenever Application starts it will identify as Addin and register on the application start.  

Please guide me, If I am missing someting .. 

Thanks in advance

6 REPLIES

Re: Register the Addin in SolidEdge

You have not specified what programming language you're using so I can't give a definite answer. Please refer to the following articles.

In a nutshell, you have to develop a COM dll and as such, the path that you install it doesn't really matter because once you register your COM dll, it will be discoverable via the registry. Depending on what programming language you use to develop the COM dll, the registration process will vary. At a high level:

• Native COM dlls are registered via regsvr32.exe.
  • Managed COM dlls are registered via regasm.exe.
Jason Newell
Applications Architect
www.jasonnewell.net

Hello Jason,

First of all I want to thank you for your incredible work for the community like the se-spy all the tutorials etc..
My question would be connected to the above though. The topics below are gone from codeProject I cant find them anywhere else (I found the source, but not the articles with your tutorials)

Plus my question would be, how do i register the dll of my cpp addin? I tried regsvr32.exe but it still doesnt show up in the SolidEdge addin list.
Could you publish the actual command i have to use?

With regards

Thomas

You're so welcome. Regarding my CodeProject articles, CodeProject decided to delete them because I'm a Siemens Partner and they viewed it as advertising. Unfortunate really but it forced me to look into alternatives that I'm currently working on and will blog about soon. Fortunately, I'm still able to see my deleted CodeProject articles so I printed them to PDF to capture the content and have attached them to this response.

If you haven't already, download the Samples on GitHub and look at the code in /AddIn/DemoAddIn/cpp/DemoAddIn.sln. It writes all of the required registry entries upon registration. You might also take a look at the /AddIn/DemoAddIn/cpp/DemoAddIn/Registration.bat.

We also need to clarify your configuration. What OS are you registering the addin on? Windows x64 or x86. What version of Solid Edge is installed? Solid Edge x64 or x86. All of these things matter when it comes to registration. In the case of the DemoAddIn, its GUID is 3CE1FCC9-6345-4367-94D4-31C701B06AEC. 

On Windows x64

regsvr32.exe %ADDIN_X64_PATH% writes to:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\3CE1FCC9-6345-4367-94D4-31C701B06AEC

regsvr32.exe %ADDIN_X86_PATH% writes to:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\WOW6432Node\CLSID\3CE1FCC9-6345-4367-94D4-31C701B06AEC

On Windows x86

regsvr32.exe %ADDIN_X86_PATH% writes to:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\3CE1FCC9-6345-4367-94D4-31C701B06AEC

So depending on if Solid Edge is x86 or x64, it will look in different parts of the registry on a 64 bit Windows OS.

Jason Newell
Applications Architect
www.jasonnewell.net

Hello Jason,

thanks for your fast response. The PDFs and the link you sent me are great, and following your cpp configuration for addins, the solution for the cpp SeAddin builds fine.
The registration.bat file runs successfully. I got Win10 64bit Pro, with Solid Edge ST9

So everything is 64 -bit and still the registry entry is in wow6432Node. Could that be the problem why SE doesnt show the AddIn? (I attached the screenshot of the registry entry, it may help).

Thanks again for your answer so far.

Hopefully i missed something simple, and the AddIn can get up and running without greater issues.

With regards,

Thomas

If you examine my DemoAddIn on GitHub, you will notice under Build -> Configuration Manager that the Debug and Release configurations have two solution platforms defined (Win32 & x64). I had to create the x64 solution platform manually when I created the project from scratch. If you have not done so in your project, you will need to. Once that's set, when you build the project, be mindful of the configuration and solution platform that are selected. In your development machine case, you will want to select Debug | x64. Calling regsvr32.exe on \x64\Debug\DemoAddIn.dll will properly register the addin. Here are the results of my machine. *Command prompt must be started with "Run as administrator".

C:\>echo %PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE%
AMD64

C:\>where regsvr32.exe
C:\Windows\System32\regsvr32.exe

C:\>regsvr32 "C:\git\SolidEdgeCommunity\Samples\AddIn\DemoAddIn\cpp\Debug\DemoAddIn.dll"

Created --> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\WOW6432Node\CLSID\{3CE1FCC9-6345-4367-94D4-31C701B06AEC}

C:\>regsvr32 "C:\git\SolidEdgeCommunity\Samples\AddIn\DemoAddIn\cpp\x64\Debug\DemoAddIn.dll"

Created --> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{3CE1FCC9-6345-4367-94D4-31C701B06AEC}

Note that I'm using the same regsvr32.exe for both x86 & x64 addin DLL registration. It is smart enough to determine the platform that the DLL was built for and register it accordingly.

Jason Newell
Applications Architect
www.jasonnewell.net

Hello Jason!

Sorry for answering only today. But good news! I am facepalming myself right now, because that was the issue... my settings were on x32, and after switching to x64, and rebuilding, I got my AddIn registered just fine into solid edge.

Huge thanks again! would've been sad, if i get stuck on this two klick solution/problem Smiley Very Happy

With regards

Thomas