SE workstation poll

Hello everyone,

I've a rather large assembly that is composed of hundreds of parts. For an example, look at:

http://www.solidedge.com/successes/images/gallery.images/2005/SUNG_IL_Wire_Braiding_Machine_800.jpg

Although UGS has a picture of a Sung Il (Korean company) braider, it is actually a copy of a Magnatech RB-2 braider:

http://www.magnatech-int.com/products/rb2.asp

We designed and have produced the machine since the early 80's.

Anyway, I've a older Dell Precision 360, WXP, 2GB ram and to perform and Adjustable Assembly operations is painfully slow. If you follow the line above, the picture in the lower right hand corner labeled "Patented Actuator Arm Mechanism" is the problem area trying to use Adjustable Assemblies.

My question is who has what for hardware and video cards that is a screaming machine. We are at the end of the fiscal year and time for next years AOP. Since this year was profitable, I'd like to get some more powerful workstations.

I see UGS has their recommended configs, but does anyone know for a fact that more is better? What's most important:

CPU?

Video card?

Memory?

32 bit vs. 64 bit?

Thanks for the input.

Posted by: Bill Ledbetter
Post date: 12/8/2006 6:40:29 AM

4 REPLIES

RE: SE workstation poll

Bill,

From what i can make out, SE is not optimally designed from the groud up to make use of a 64bit environment - there's truly only about a 12~20% performance boost.

if you're having issues working with very large assemblies et al, consider optimizing the loading of these assemblies using the simiplified parts, turn off rendering for the parts that you're not working on and use less sharp display options. A good graphics card (with 256MB+ RAM should help you with this issue). My spec suggestion would be smth like this:

+ Intel Xeon 3+ GHz/AMD 3600+ processor

+ 3~4 GB of RAM (preferably 533Mhz FSB, DIMM2)

+ A good mother board based on the processor family (try getting 1066MhZ FSB supported board)

+ Graphics card with about 256MB/512MB ob board RAM

+ A 160GB+ SCSI hard drive (configured optimally to increase the page file size - consult the microsoft site to help with the settings based on your requirement)

+ Goes without saying that you need a screen with atleast 1280x1024, 16M color resolution to utilize the processing power

Posted by: siddharth balaravi
Post date: 12/18/2006 11:46:03 PM

Thanks for your input. I spoke with a local firm who also uses SE and large assemblies. They told me they have success with:

Dell 490 or 690

Dual core 3.2 GhZ

4GB RAM

NVidia FX3500 graphics

I'm opting for the 690.

Any opinions?

Thanks again.

Post date: 12/19/2006 2:31:25 AM

Thanks for your input. I spoke with a local firm who also uses SE and large assemblies. They told me they have success with:

Dell 490 or 690

Dual core 3.2 GhZ

4GB RAM

NVidia FX3500 graphics

I'm opting for the 690.

Any opinions?

Thanks again.

Post date: 12/19/2006 2:31:26 AM

sweet mother of jesus!! the 490 is a nice config. - a tad bit of customiztion and you a work horse!!

Posted by: siddharth balaravi
Post date: 12/25/2006 6:06:39 PM