SEPartReader.DLL???

Solution Partner Pioneer Solution Partner Pioneer
Solution Partner Pioneer

Hi Everyone,

I came across this today. Can anyone shed any light on the history of it, before I dive any deeper into it?

separtreader.jpg

Thanks,

Dave

9 REPLIES

Re: SEPartReader.DLL???

what do you want to know...

are you assuming this is an external application.

as a dll i have to assume this is just one of 100's if not 1000's of packages that make up the overall function of SE as a whole.

what are you trying to do that led you to this dll?

===================================================
Matt Johnson
Solid Edge Certified Professional (ST7 & ST8)
Solid Edge ST9 (SEEC) - Production
NX10 (Tc Integration) Pre-Production Testing
Teamcenter 10.1.6

Solution Partner Pioneer

Hi Matt,

No, it's not delivered with Solid Edge itself. Certainly not with ST9 anyway. I'd already searched there.

We've learned that a third party developer that we're working with is using it to extract Parasolid bodies from Solid Edge part files. They cannot recall how/when they obtained it either!

What I'm trying to find out is if it is still being developed/distributed, as the version stamp suggests that its a few years old now and perhaps of ST5 vintage.

The screenshot I posted also suggests that is was developed by Siemens. I'd have thought that someone on this forum may have come across it before and could help me find out a little more about it. If not, I'll just log an IR.

Cheers,
Dave

Solution Partner Pioneer
Update!

Apologies. I just found it on the ST9 DVD in the SDK folder. I'll take a closer look...

Cheers,
Dave

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I believe there are 4 of them: 

• DraftDataAPI.dll - Get Draft viewer data
  • SEFacet.dll - Get face data for parts
  • SEPartReader.dll - Get Part data
  • SEReader.dll - Get Assembly component data

These are lightweight standalone libraries that allow you to interrogate SE files without having SE installed.  Unfortunately the SDK Help has no info that I can find and the Readme's that are included with 3 of them are pretty light on info, so you need to contact GTAC if you want more info on them.

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP1

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

All of these DLLs were implemented by Siemens and enables access to either an Assembly-, Part-, or DraftDocument without the requirement for having a Solid Edge license.

It is my understanding that you can use them and deliver them with your own products, although it is not explicitly stated in any document.

Solution Partner Pioneer
Thank you for the information guys. Much appreciated, as always. The lack of any documentation (for SEPartReader) is frustrating and it's also unfortunate that the terms and conditions of use are not clear.

Solution Partner Phenom

Since these are COM Type Libraries that have to be registered on the local system by partner\customer (because they are not part of the standard install), I've always wondered about the following scenario:

1. PartnerA deploys and registers C:\PartnerA\SEPartReader.dll
  2. PartnerA's deployment is now the current.
  3. PartnerB deploys and registers C:\PartnerB\SEPartReader.dll
  4. PartnerB's deployment is now the current.
  5. PartnerB unregisters C:\PartnerB\SEPartReader.dll during uninstall.
  6. PartnerA apps that reply on SEPartReader.dll are now broken.

Whoever is the last to regsvr32.exe their DLL wins. Perhaps there is a easy solution for this but it has always concerned me in regards to these 4 .DLLs in particular.

Jason Newell
Applications Architect
www.jasonnewell.net

Solution Partner Pioneer

Thanks Jason. Good point. I don't think there has ever been an easy solution to this. I seem to recall setting the property 'don't remove on uninstall' when building installers for projects that referenced COM DLLs and where there was any likelihood of tripping up on the scenario you describe. Not a great way of doing it, I concede.

But, now I have your attention :-) are you aware of any reason or Siemens terms of use that prevent us from distributing any of the four dlls in question with our applications?

Cheers,

Dave

Solution Partner Phenom

Not that I'm aware of.

Jason Newell
Applications Architect
www.jasonnewell.net