ST8 Draft dimension locations

Creator
Creator

Hello, I am trying to find a way to get the actual coordinates of both ends of a dimension.

Background on what I'm doing: I have an app, written in C# (WPF) which allows our DEs to edit wire harness drawings. the terminations (blocks) are manually connected and sized by the engineer using smart dimensions. (See attached image). The problem is when they edit a termination (connector, flying lead, splice ect.) it has to delete the block to re-add it with the new changes. Once the block is deleted, it deletes the connected dimension lines. I have to find a way to track the details of the dimensions so I can recreate them programatically when they add the blocks back to the draft.

I thought somewhere I would be able to access meta data showing what blocks the dimension is attached to, where (physically) the dimension is on the draft, end coordinates ect.. Any help is greatly appreciated.  Thanks, Matt

SEDraftBlocks.PNG

9 REPLIES

Re: ST8 Draft dimension locations

Creator
Creator

Please, I am still looking for a solution to this...  if anyone knows what data I can get from the SolidEdgeFramworkSupport.Dimension object to allow me to place the dimension BACK on the drawing.. Please let me know.  

I've gone through all of the properties I can see using the SolidEdgeSpy app, but nothing shows which blocks the dimensaion are attached to, or where they are visually on the sheet..

Thanks, Matt

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

Hi MattG,

try the GetKeyPoint() method of the Dimension. The index is 1..KeyPointCount. These  are the small circles in the user interface graphic when you select a dimesion.

You have to guess the desired point index and it could change with the Solid Edge release (I remember ST8 added new key elements).

I don't understand why the users build new blocks when editing. They could edit the block in Place on the drawing.

regards

JB
VS2015, SE ST10

Phenom
Phenom

@MattG Now that you have the hint about the keyword, here's another discussion that may prove useful.

Also search for GetKeypoint on this forum and you may land into more such discussions.

Attached with this message is a MS Word document about balloons with some hints on how the point indexing works. Not sure if that would be of any direct help in your context. This document was shared on this same forum earlier but I don't remember who.

~Tushar

Creator
Creator

Thanks, LB, I will definitely check out GetKeyPoint(). 

With the blocks, they're not actually creating or editing the blocks by hand. I wrote an app which allows them to design the different blocks (connector, inline splice, flying leads etc..) from choices in the database and my program draws and places the blocks in the drawing.  Unfortunately, if they make a change to a block, like add/remove a wire for instance, I haven't found a way to make the graphical changes to the block without deleting it and recreating it from scratch in code.

Thanks again,

Matt

Creator
Creator

Tushar,  thanks for the links and document. I will look at those, for sure!

Matt

Solution Partner Phenom
Hi,
my answer was not correct Smiley Sad
Index for Keypoints is 0 to KeyPointCount-1 !
regards

JB
VS2015, SE ST10

Creator
Creator
Thanks! I think I found that, but wasn't sure if I was doing something wrong.

Solution Partner Phenom

I did not create this document, but I feel responsible for its content Smiley Wink

(see this post).

Phenom
Phenom

Hi @MartinBernhard

its been a long time buddy !

Yes, I do remember I downloaded it from the forum but forgot it were you.

I think I must have simply copied the contents into a neat Word document, but the credit is all yours.

A big 'thank you' again !!

Your contribution to the developer community is beyond words !!

Regards,

Tushar