Solid Edge File Properties for non-users

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi All,

What's the easiest way for non-SE users to access SE specific file properties (from Summary or Project tabs)?

I know there are freeware tools out there (ie. Barham Software) but being unfamiliar with the specific ones, I'm not sure which is best.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Kevin Grayson
Solid Edge Technical Consultant
kevin.grayson@siemens.com

10 REPLIES

Re: Solid Edge File Properties for non-users

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hi Kevin,

You can display most of them using Windows Explorer as shown in the attached screen capture.

File Properties in Explorer.png

It is simply a matter of RMB on the header row in the right hand window and then select the desired properties - see below:

Selection of Property to display.png

I hope that this is of some use.

Regards,

Desmond Brown

Ulster University

d.brown@ulster.ac.uk

Siemens Phenom

Hi Desmond,

I'm not sure this works for a computer that has just the SE free Viewer or nothing installed.  I'm not seeing the file properties come through (some, not all).

Thanks,

Kevin

Kevin Grayson

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hi Kevin,

I'm not sure but would have thought tthat this meta-data was captured in the Microsoft file structure and independent of any Solid Edge application being present to enable display within Windows Explorer.  The two that I can't display are Manager and Category, for whatever reason, unless of course they are Solid Edge specific.

Regards,

Desmond

Creator
Creator

You can access all properties through Revision Manager but you may not have that if you don't have the full Solid Edge.

Creator
Creator

As a bit of an aid here is a project I've been working on that extracts all of the solid edge document properties in a folder and outputs them to a tab delimited file.

It isn't debugged so it is work in progress.

You still need a Solid Edge licence to run it but one user could populate the file on a regular basis and other users could then interrogate this output file for properties.

Hope it is useful Smiley Happy

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

Kevin,

For many years, I had a PowerToys for Solid Edge product (free) that included a Windows Shell Extension that made all Solid Edge file properties available to all Windows users (even without SE installed). I have since discontinued it but I still have the source code. If Siemens is interested, I'll hand over my code for reference if it would help. Windows Shell Extensions are hard to get right but I had all of the hard stuff figured out.

I get so many requests to make it available again. I pitched the concept to Dan several years ago and tried to explain the need. I suspect it will take a larger group of customers requesting this functionality before it will get attention.

Jason Newell
Applications Architect
www.jasonnewell.net

Siemens Phenom

Hey Jason,

Thanks for the reply.  You and Ted Barham came to mind in terms of possible programs to use.

I was seeing different results of accessibility to file props based on what was installed. Nothing vs. Free Viewer vs. Solid Edge:  Different results across the board.  I discovered that with the Free Viewer installed, it appears that if you RMB on a SE file from File-Open within the Viewer, you can see the file props but not from Explorer.  I think this specific solution would suffice for the customer I am working with.

In terms of your source code, I'm not sure if I personally need it or not but from a wider perspective and what Siemens/Solid Edge folks want to do, I'll leave that up to Dan or others.

Thanks again!

Kevin

Kevin Grayson

Phenom
Phenom

Yes please Jason - I've been searching for that utility for a while !

We use custom properties for Description and Part Number, so it would be nice to see these in Windows Explorer, and preferably also in the File > Open dialogs within Solid Edge.

I used to have it installed but our workstations, network and server were pretty slow and at the time I found it had quite an impact on windows explorer speed. Now we have nice shiny new kit so I'd like to try it again.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST7 MP10 on Windows 7 Pro 64.

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

As I said in a previous reply, PowerToys for Solid Edge is discontinued and not supported. I don't offer a download link anymore because I'm not in a position to support it. Windows shell extensions are very hard to get right and you have to maintain them for new releases of Windows. If I made the download link available again, I would imagine people would immediately start having issues and I just can't support them.

This topic comes up serveral time a year for me. My response to everyone is that you need to talk to Siemens and convince them that you need it. That is the best long term solution for everyone. If Siemens decides to commit, I've offered my code and experience as reference if they need it.

Jason Newell
Applications Architect
www.jasonnewell.net