Solid Edge Object Hierarchy (or tree)

[ Edited ]

Hi everybody! ....  (Hi Doctor Nick)

Does anyone know of a PDF or jpg of the entire Solid Edge API object model tree? In my old job I used Inventor and I printed this huge sheet on the plotter which had the entire object hierarchy asa PDF. It was a great programming tool. If I remember correctly, This file was somewhere in the installation directory.

Ha... I just found it online. See attachment.

Thanks.

Posted by: Martin B
Post date: 3/30/2010 4:06:11 AM

6 REPLIES

Re: Solid Edge Object Hierarchy (or tree)

The one you attached is the Inventor one, do you have the SolidEdge API tree, by any chance?

- Tony

Actually, I have never seen this document for Solid Egde API, but by using Spy for Solid Edge you really don't need this document. This tool is a must for anyone who starts learning the Solid Edge API and its object tree. Thanks to Jason Newell!

And...you will be able to browse the tree on live data ;-)

Holy crap!

You just made my life a MILLION times easier!

Hopefully, I'll leave you alone now.  haha

Thank you so much!

Tony

- Tony

IMO one of the hardest parts of understanding the API is figuring out the input and returned types for methods. The doucmentation and and Spy often just have 'Object' type inputs and outputs.

Does anyone know of a good way of determining types?

Martin,

After some customization tweaks, your solution worked great!

- Tony

Alex,

I don't know how to directly find each type. I started recognizing the types, in terms of balloons vs. callouts, strictly by "connecting the dots," if you will. The researching ended up being the key for me.

Everyone: If there is a better way, I would also like to know!  Smiley Happy

But, I can tell you what I did:

1. Browse/Get familiar with the Object Library on Visual Studio.

2. Repeat for Spy for Solid Edge Tool referenced on this thread.

3. While your documents are live, while scrolling through your Spy in the Object Browser tab, look at the values of those objects' properties that you can visually relate to your Solid Edge document, i.e. BalloonText.

This led me to notice that "Balloons" and "Callouts" are the one in the same type: Balloon. The "Balloon Type" and "Callout" properties distinguish which each balloon will be.

Example: If BalloonType = 10 and Callout = 0, then someone used the "Balloon" feature when they created it in the Draft.

If BalloonType = 0 and Callout = 1, then someone used the "Callout" feature when they created it in the Draft.

I hope this helps!

Everyone: Again, if there is a better way, I would also like to know!

Tony

- Tony